• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you handle campaign cheaters?

BSF

Explorer
If you are up for it, start modifying the dungeon. Heh - I still have all my old copies of Grimtooth's traps. If you want to keep running the dungeon for them, maybe you should take it to GM vs Player and get brutal.

It won't solve the problem, but it might make you feel better. :)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I wish my players would take this sort of interest as opposed to me spoonfeeding some of them everything. Not all my players are like this, but I have some.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
He may be reading this even how...

I agree with the rest but also make the games yours, change something, hell post here that you need ideas and thought on a part of the dungeon then kill his character with a simple pie in the face!

It is not that he is ruining the game for you but also himself and the other players.

Terwox

First Post
This is a lot worse than fudging a roll when you really don't want your character to die. (and that's pretty bad.)
Boot the guy. He not only ruined it for himself, he ruined it for everybody else.
That's absurd.
However, like BardStephenFox said... make sure that you're not running a DM vs players game. I think it's a little bit off the mark, though... even if you are, the guy shouldn't be cheating, he should be telling you what he doesn't like.
But, in any case, yeah. If you don't want to boot the guy, tell the guy you'll boot him if anything like this happens again. If it does, do it. If you've already talked about this, follow through and boot him. That's the "easy" way, and the way I'd follow if the guy was my friend.
If the guy wasn't my friend, I'd hope to never see him again. Simple enough!
As for the other players, well, they're still somewhat at fault... anyway, as above posters said, if you still want to run the dungeon, just start mixing things up -- and if anybody does suspect things like "i go search the bed" ... well, spring a trap or an ambush on them. If they get offended, well... good.
It's usually good to mix things up a bit in a module anyway, if you have the time to do it and do it right. I wager, at least.
anyway. g'luck w/ the crummy situation, I hope you find a good way to work it out.

Stormborn

Explorer
Sometimes the dynamic of a gaming group is more than what occurs in actual game sessions. As such you have to consider if kicking him out of the game is more trouble than its worth. Maybe a suspenison? No playing for X sessions? Talk to him about how you feel, the breech of trust and all.

Regardless, I would start tweaking the campaign. Different traps, treasure in different places, different monsters. I know this is a little work for you, but i think its important to send a two-fold message to all the players

1)cheating isn't tolerated
2)cheating wont do you any good anyway.

If the first doesn't get them the second one will.

Narfellus

First Post
why the hell would anyone cheat like that in a campaign? It's like reading ahead in a book, or seeing the middle and end of a movie? They're only shooting themselves in the foot and angering the GM, the ONE person they need to get the game rolling. I'd talk to them first, and in lieu of that not working...not many options...

Shallown

First Post
First thing I would do is have a session with no gaming and talk about what you know happened.

Ask what do they think you should do about it then consider your options.

I agree this is a very wrong thing to do but not unforgivable.

I know in days past I would have done something similiar but I grew out of it and realized what gaming is about for me.

I have my GM's notebook sitting on my dining room table right now with all the campaign notes in it or at least that's what he says. It isn't the slightest bit atemptation to me. I play the game to be challenged and knowing what's up is not a challenge. But I also wasn't always like this. Nothing happened directly to change my attitude it just sort of happened.

So I think you should give them a chance. If they still think this is alright discuss with them what you feel. I know the gm needs to enjoy the game as much as the players and if he can't trust them then he can't enjoy.

Later

Oryan77

Adventurer
If it's a friend worth having around even though he cheated and you think he can be forgiven, you could just penalize him for cheating instead of flat out kicking him from the group.

How many sessions do you think he cheated in while running WLD? Tell him you concidered not playing with him anymore, but if he really wants to play with you guys and promises not to cheat again, he must attend X amount of sessions (same number of sessions he cheated in) with his PC but gain no XP at all. He can keep loot and in game knowledge, but due to the fact that his previous adventuring wasn't legit & shouldn't have been rewarded, and the fact that you now have to tweak things a bit so he won't recognize future scenarios, he has to "pay" for his disrespect for the game. That way you don't lose a friend, you don't have to "stage" a punishment in game to dock his PC of anything (like his life), and if he really is sorry and wants to keep playing, it should be no big deal at all for him to spend several sessions not raising in levels any. It's only fair.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads