• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you handle Commoners in your game?

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't know what are the options in the DMG for creating commoner NPCs, by which name I mean NPCs that aren't of major importance in the game (or maybe they are, but they are not adventuring, and are not supposed to be in combat) and as such they don't need to be fully statted, and don't need class levels.

In Basic (DM's document) there is a Commoner among the ready-made NPCs. The problem is that this Commoner (and all the other NPCs here) is written just with combat in mind. But most of the time, I never need combat stats for commoners... rather, I need to know their skills and other proficiencies, and maybe some specific equipment items they possess, these being the things that might be useful for interacting with the PCs.

So what I am doing at the moment, is simply use a background to represent a commoner NPC.

It makes a lot of sense because of the following:

- a background represents your role in society, practically a "job" but in a broader sense (you wouldn't call "noble" or "urchin" jobs, but they still tell how you get food on your table...) -> this also makes it easy to immediately spot the best background to represent your commoner NPC

- backgrounds come with sub-choices to refine the identity of the NPC

- every background also comes sample traits/ideals/bonds/flaws which you can immediately pick (or roll) whenever the PCs decide to talk with the NPC, to quickly create her personality

- a background is a set of skills + tools + language proficiencies, which is exactly what I need to know most of the time (equipment and feature may be also useful, but perhaps rarely)

- to increase variety, it's a piece of cake to swap e.g. one skill with another

---

The only thing in addition to a background, is that I typically also like to vary the ability scores (just to randomize the NPC population a bit). But not as far as rolling scores which takes time, just decide them on the spot. For example, one score above average and one other below average, are probably enough to make the NPC more unique.

---

There is only one significant shortcoming, and that is the fact that this works just fine with human commoners, but for other races, you still probably need to add at least a few of the racial features (but not necessarily all).

What is your own approach to representing commoner NPCs in your game?

Since a modifier of +0 represent your average human, I just roll 1d20 for all the ability checks and stuff for commoners.

Estimating which NPC is talented at what is just too much trouble with hardly any benefit.

HEEGZ

First Post
Since a modifier of +0 represent your average human, I just roll 1d20 for all the ability checks and stuff for commoners.

Estimating which NPC is talented at what is just too much trouble with hardly any benefit.
Exactly this. Also, they have 1 hp, and run away if they don't die in the first round... Hmm, and they scream for help too.

For non-humans I would just reference the PHB or MM and pull any racial abilities as needed. I don't generally need to for a commoner NPC though.

HEEGZ

First Post
Not in my games. I treat them like 4e minions essentially. Along with other cannon fodder, like rats and such. I was answering the OP, though I probably could have worded my response more clearly. I was not intending to portray commoners per their published stat block. I use the 4e minion hp for lots of creatures in my games for the sole purpose of speeding up play, while maintaining the narrative value.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I give commoners 1-4 HP and if they need to be skilled in something, the old blacksmith has +5 to his blacksmith checks. I don't really use or need rules for such NPC.

Tony Vargas

Legend
No 'monster' or NPC write-up in 5e has just combat stuff. The mere fact that it has ability checks gives it the full range of out-of-combat abilities all PCs have by default. If one ability is higher, he's better at a range of things.

Proficiencies would be nice, but they mostly represent things other than the basic subsistence tasks of the commoner. Having proficiency in artisan's tools for instance, would imply guild membership and a profitable trade - not as common a commoner, anymore.

Proficiency in whatever skills and tools make sense for them. Ability scores usually in the 8-13 range. Expertise if they're some sort of notable expert like a master craftsman.

No reason to overthink it.

Zaran

Adventurer
They're un-damageable and do 1hp of damage if attacking.

Why Un-damageable? If the PCs attack them do they get attacked by level 50 guards?

I wouldn't do a straight 1d20 on a skill roll. Everyone will be skilled at the job they do. I'd at least do +2 and might do a +3 since even average people excel in something usually.

Remove ads