D&D 5E How do you handle PC nobles?

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Nobles are a lot of fun to play. I let my players roll their birthrank, and they can be members of the upper class or even royalty. They can have retainers and bodyguards following them, and responsibilities.

Unwise

Adventurer
I am a Forgotten Realms noob, but I am interested in the Sword Coast. My understanding is that Waterdeep is pretty much a meritocracy (in a Darwinian sort of way) in its politics. They have the masked lords etc. I got the impression that Baldur's Gate was a bit similar, which nobles being a fading power and merchants and 'new money' really running the show. Is that correct? What about Neverwinter?

I am just curious, as in some setting nobility is going to mean a great deal, but in a game with city states rather than kingdoms, their power diminishes. It diminishes again in a meritocracy or with the rise of the merchant class. Are there any kings on the sword coast?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Oh, most games I have seen make all nobles about the same not matter race but think about mixing that up, like a Dwarf Noble would be a Brew Master or a Weapon Smith.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I am a Forgotten Realms noob, but I am interested in the Sword Coast. My understanding is that Waterdeep is pretty much a meritocracy (in a Darwinian sort of way) in its politics. They have the masked lords etc. I got the impression that Baldur's Gate was a bit similar, which nobles being a fading power and merchants and 'new money' really running the show. Is that correct? What about Neverwinter?

I am just curious, as in some setting nobility is going to mean a great deal, but in a game with city states rather than kingdoms, their power diminishes. It diminishes again in a meritocracy or with the rise of the merchant class. Are there any kings on the sword coast?
Kings of the Sword Coast? None that I know of.

As for powers of Nobles, just create a list of things that are best for your game, such as:
  • Title
  • Own Land
  • Rent land (Serfdom & indentured servants
  • Own & Ride Horses
  • Raise Armies (group of henchmen greater than 25)
  • Can collect Taxes from Land
  • Can appoint civic officials (mayors, sheriff, judges, tax collector, etc.)
  • Presides over Guilds (holds seat or appointment that oversees all Guilds)
  • Can hold appointment or civic office

Then you can then create levels of nobles by how many of those they can check off. Example of a low level Noble would be Lord Rob Lowe, sheriff of the North Tower Ward and Overseer of the Dock workers Guild. He makes money by being paid by the Dock Workers not to interfere with smugglers in the North Tower Ward.

Last edited:

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain

Prior to the 4E campaign setting book Neverwinter was run by Lord Nasher, a landed aristocrat with a hereditary title, think like Italian Dukes or Princes. After the 4E campaign book Neverwinter is effectively ruled by Lord Nevember the Unmasked Lord of Waterdeep.

Not that I'm aware of, the closest I think you get would be Tethyr, but that's well south of Baldur's Gate. Also, keep in mind that Baldur's Gate's Grand Duke is a king in all but name.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
As a player in Sir Brennen's campaign, playing a noble PC, I'm a little leery of replying to this thread... :D

Nobles include a large swath of potential levels of power - in the real world it varied; often only the first-born son inherited much in the way of wealth. Younger sons would go into the clergy, or military to make their fortunes. Often, they'd have a title but no wealth at all, or the cost of keeping up appearances could wipe out any financial advantages.

Hussar

Legend
That is a point Kid C. With a Noble Background, I'd expect the PC's upkeep costs to be at their very highest, for example. Lowering down the upkeep costs could have some adverse affects when dealing with various social classes. If you've been slumming it, barely paying upkeep, you're probably not going to find many open doors to the ball.

OTOH, it would mean that when the party starts going hunting for information, the noble character could possible start searching in areas that the other characters couldn't. Family archives, invitations to peruse someone's library, that sort of thing.

I'm thinking that if you're a noble background character, the character is going to hobnob with the nobs, so to speak, and his dealings with lower classes would be somewhat limited.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
So now everyone can be the party police, without needing to be a paladin?

Most wouldn't be all honorable that like, though that is part of what it means to be "noble". It's ironic they can have some of the worst behavior but keep their title. The noble would be after prestige, security, and leisure. He won't do anything he can't get someone to do for him, he will expect the fighter and other party members to defend him first in combat, and he will see to his name and that of his house or family ahead of other priorities.

Remove ads