How do you overcome the "improvise a character name" problem?

soviet

Hero
I generally have a list of names ready to assign, as several people have suggested.

If the NPC is obviously not plot relevant (although they may become so later, of course) I will also ask another player. Bob, what's this guy's name? I do the same thing for personality traits or notable characteristics too. You do need to know your players here, as some will always contribute something silly which may not always be what you want.

piers

Explorer
If the game has a particular style (eg Pendragon) I keep a list and choose from that.

Otherwise they're named after whatever bottle of alcohol on the table comes to the GM's attention first. If you like wine (we do) then you end up with many characters named after vineyards. Or sometimes you notice the beer first.

So, respectively, were the long-lived characters Clausis and Stella born.

A former GM of mine who ran mostly modern and sci-fi games would use movie credits to find great names. On any major film, you'll have a trove of names from cultures around the world to choose from.

[Edit] Examples from the latest Avatar film (courtesy of IMDB):
  • Tsuyoshi Abe
  • Benoit Beaufils
  • Aimey Beer
  • Léa Catania
  • Bronte Coluccio
  • Lance Lee Davis
  • Dzmitry Patsukevich
  • Pol Villà Trilla
  • Giovanni Ermes Vincenti
  • Hung Vodinh
  • Dhawal Vora
  • Wayne Stables
  • Amalia Stark
  • Owen Longstaff
  • Melvin T. Rice III
  • Deep Chahal
  • Electra Sinclair

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Did I miss this kerfuffle? What was it about?
What I saw was people complaining about the page space wasted on name lists versus other content they wanted to see. I don't think it was particularly wide spread and there are just as many people that appreciated it and would complain if there were no name lists. Just normal internet mini-drama.

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
A frighteningly in-depth knowledge of early 1980s GI Joe file names: "Conrad Hauser" has been a dwarf mercenary, a barkeep, a cleric; "Dashiell Faireborne" has been a bard and a rival adventuring party captain; "Clayton Abernathy" has been a paladin; "Lonzo" has shown up a few times, as have "Shana," "Friestadt" and "MacCullen," and in modern games I've pulled out "Rafael Melendez," "Hector Delgado," and "Anthony Gambello."

...otherwise, I default to "Steve-Dave." One name. Often "Sergeant Steve-Dave."

Remove ads