• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you progress spellcasting monsters?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I want to make a Nymph NPC with higher level Druidic casting than the base creature posesses. Do I simply progress additional HD and increase Druidic casting as if she gained a level in Druid? Or is there another way to do this?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Just a suggestion, but 3e-based Trailblazer had a recent Kickstarter book "Trailblazer: Teratologue" published that builds upon the SRD monsters. It offers a fantastic streamlined method for advancing monsters over the more complicated ways in the 3.x core rules. It's a $5 .pdf on RPGNow.

Li Shenron

Legend
I want to make a Nymph NPC with higher level Druidic casting than the base creature posesses. Do I simply progress additional HD and increase Druidic casting as if she gained a level in Druid? Or is there another way to do this?

I would do it that way, just adding X class levels, so if the monster normally "casts spells as a 7th level Druid" i.e. has same spell list, spells known, spells per day as a Druid 7, it would now have same spell list, spells known and spells per day as a Druid 7+X. The additional Druid levels would also increase BAB, ST, HP, skills and possibly give some extra abilities, and CR would increase by X.

In case of the 3.0 Nymph (although I can bet that PF has updated this creature) it might be technically a bit different, because the 3.0 SRD doesn't say that a Nymph casts spells as a 7th level Druid but rather "can also replicate druid spells as 7th-level casters". Maybe it is the same, but to me it sounds more like the Nymph can just freely cast whatever spells a Druid 7 could.

In many ways, the 3.0 Nymph was not really meant to be a combat encounter, but once again I could bet that PF heavily changed this.

MarkB

Legend
In case of the 3.0 Nymph (although I can bet that PF has updated this creature) it might be technically a bit different, because the 3.0 SRD doesn't say that a Nymph casts spells as a 7th level Druid but rather "can also replicate druid spells as 7th-level casters". Maybe it is the same, but to me it sounds more like the Nymph can just freely cast whatever spells a Druid 7 could.

Even by the 3.5e SRD this is changed to "cast spells as a 7th-level Druid", to the extent of the stat block including a 'typical' set of memorised spells.

Empirate

First Post
Fun stuff: adding dual-progression PrCs to monsters with racial spellcasting. I ran a Rakshasa Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge as an NPC once. Powerful stuff. Originally I had thought Rakshasa with the Monster of Legend template for racial Sorcerer and Cleric casting, but Ur-Priest does the job better...

Empirate

First Post
Well, this thread is broken. I posted here a while ago and never saw my post - and it's still marked as "unread new posts" whenever I visit the site, in spite of staying the same for days.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
This thread is acting funny, I can see that people have posted from outside the thread, but I cannot see what they have posted, once I open it.

Remove ads