• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "Erinyes"

How do you pronounce "Erinyes"

• Ear-RIN-ee-eez ("hear any sneeze")

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Ear-IN-yeez ("hear pin fleas")

Votes: 37 29.1%
  • Ur-RHINE-yeez ("her sign please")

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Air-in-yes ("Hair in yes")

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • Air-ee-nys ("fairy eyes")

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • other

Votes: 30 23.6%

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
It's Greek. Ay-rin-ü-ace. Or if you can't pronounce a proper ypsillon, ay-rin-ee-ace. And since all Greek words in English come to us through Latin, you have to follow Latin rules for accent, so double-plus-properly, it's ay-RIN-ee-ace (or -aze, to further anglicanize the plural ending).

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
Erin? Yes!

ErinGray%20brown%20hair.jpg

Huw

First Post
Jack Daniel said:
It's Greek. Ay-rin-ü-ace. Or if you can't pronounce a proper ypsillon, ay-rin-ee-ace. And since all Greek words in English come to us through Latin, you have to follow Latin rules for accent, so double-plus-properly, it's ay-RIN-ee-ace (or -aze, to further anglicanize the plural ending).

But the Romans called them "furiae" (as in Furies, not furries. That would be too scary :p )

I say "e-RIN-yez". It's not right for a triad of underworld goddesses but I think it works for a celestial who's switched sides.

Xath

Moder-gator
er - IN - eez

That's never been a quesiton amongst the group. However, we recently faced a Brachina (Erynes with advanced HD from FCII) and got into a debate as to whether it was Bra - ki - na or Bra - shi - na.

shilsen

Adventurer
Huw said:
But the Romans called them "furiae" (as in Furies, not furries. That would be too scary :p )

OMFG! I'm never going to be able to read the Oresteia again without imagining Orestes being pursued by furries! Damn you, Huw, damn you to heck :D!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Erin-ace

And if you pronounce it succubus, it's thirty seven years scrubbing the floor's of baalzebul's summer home in Grenpoli. Or playing a worst case scenario of what 4E turns out to be. Whichever is more full of... well... you know what.

der_kluge

Adventurer
the Jester said:
air-IN-yeez.

This one.

TSR/WoTC actually released a set pronunciation .WAV files years ago (back when Planescape was still being made). The .WAV files had pronunciations of a bunch of the Planescape monsters.

Erinyes was part of the set. This is the correct pronunciation.

Although, I think more of an emphasis was placed on AIR.

AIR-en-yeez

Remove ads