• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "Erinyes"

How do you pronounce "Erinyes"

• Ear-RIN-ee-eez ("hear any sneeze")

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Ear-IN-yeez ("hear pin fleas")

Votes: 37 29.1%
  • Ur-RHINE-yeez ("her sign please")

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Air-in-yes ("Hair in yes")

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • Air-ee-nys ("fairy eyes")

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • other

Votes: 30 23.6%

Aeric

Explorer
Well, according to M-W.com (thanks Robbastard!), it's pronounced "ear EN-nis." So that's how I'm gonna pronounce it from now on. :)

How now, brown drow?

Klaus

First Post
Robbastard said:
Thought I'd try another. . . .

I pronounce it as #1, but usually only when referring to more than one erinys (Ear-RHINE-us; the singular form).
er-EE-nees.

Rhymes with "say ME, please".

Singluar: er-EE-nee.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I picked... Air-in-yes, but then again I tend to pronounce many D&D terms wrong.

Shemeska said:
And if you pronounce it succubus, it's thirty seven years scrubbing the floor's of baalzebul's summer home in Grenpoli. Or playing a worst case scenario of what 4E turns out to be. Whichever is more full of... well... you know what.
QFT!

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Forgive me for bringing this ancient thread back from the dead ... however, the correct pronunciation of this creature has been much on my mind lately.

From what I've been able to find online, the proper Greek-ish pronunciation is like "eh-rih-NEE-ess", while the Anglicized pronunciation is "eh-rih-NEE-eez".

That being said, what I don't get is why WotC turned the plural form into a collective noun. What's wrong with "erinys" as a singular?

On a similar note, it would seem they've also collectivized manes demons, so a single one is still a "manes" not a "mane". Weird, eh?

Remove ads