• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you see the roll of DM/GM?

How do you see your role as DM/GM?

• A guide - You'll help players, fudge rolls or adapt encounters

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • A player - The fifth column with inside knowledge, but you'll not generaly fudge rolls or adapt enco

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • An arbiter - You ensure fair play and are not otherwise bothered with the safety of your players

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • God - It's YOUR world and the players tread at their own peril (to kill is divine)

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Some other role ... (feel free to elaborate)

Votes: 8 10.4%

Moleculo

First Post
I like to see the DM as a cooperative story teller, who writes a story with characters that even he doesn't know what they will do (grammar please heh). that is all.

Psion

Adventurer
Um, all of the above?

I mean, it is my attitude that I should provide the players with fun... but I do that by properly balancing encounters, providing interesting adventures, and giving the players a fair shot, not by fudging rolls. The anxiety of possibly losing (or at the very least, have disadvantaged) their character is part of the fun and emotional content.

I am an arbirter. I am a genre emulator, not a media emulator.

I am a player. I try to have as much fun with my characters and plots as the players are having.

I am a creator... this is my playground, my toy, my sandbox.

When I DM my role changes from one session to the next. The main goal is to have fun. No fun- no returning players. To optain the most fun, I, as GM/DM, need to be fair, consistant and creative. I need to challenge players but sometimes give them an easy out. I just need to read the players.

Fenes 2

First Post
drakhe sums up my position quite nicely. I adapt encounters, even floorplans etc. if the situation warrants it - i.e. if the adventure is more fun that way.

I am no big fan of the "let the dice fall where ever they may" and "Teach the players to play smart, cautious PCs by TPKing them until they get the message" school of DMing. As a player, I just want to roleplay my PC, not strain my brain solving puzzles or mapping a maze, or spend hours in combat, and as a DM I try to avoid such occurences as well, unless a player asks for it.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
It is my role to give the PCs enough rope to hang themselves. :D

Generally, the PCs can do pretty much what they want. I frequently introduce external events to which they can react - but how they react is up to them.

I also let their actions usually have consequences - whether good or bad.

Bagpuss

Legend
You missed

Torturer - Make them understand who has the power in the relationship, who controls if their character lives or dies.

This may seem counter intuative and as first the players might be rebelious, but with the correct punishment and reward system they soon learn who is in control.

Also keep them guessing, punishing them just because they do something stupid, makes them feel they have the control. The world is a dangerous place, people die all the time for no fault of their own, your game world should reflect this so even the most intelligent and well behaved characters should be singled out for abuse once and a while.

Remember while a good torture never lets his victim die, just keeps them on the edge for as long as possible and then brings them back. It is sometimes necessary to make an example of one of the characters to keep the players in line. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Players learn to enjoy the rollercoaster ride, after a while they develop a sort of Stockholm Syndrome and come dependent on you.

Top Tip: Keep a good supply of dice in arms reach to throw at players that speak out of turn.

drakhe

First Post
So far I'm pretty amazed by the stats. Contrary to what I expected, the guide and the arbiter come out on top. I expected to see a lot more 'GODS'.

Another thing I learned from your posts is that a lot of DM's seem to go with the flow, dm'ing one way then another as the occasion demands. Looking back I agree, though I generaly adopt the guide role, at times I let the players go their way and sit back to arbitrate the proceedings. Then again, I've had some scene's were one of the players was pitted in a duel with an NPC and playing that NPC in that duel made me a player.

Bagpuss, the torturer actualy makes sense the way you explain it, thanx for the idea!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads