How do you use dinosaurs in your campaign?

ccs

41st lv DM
In my current campaign they're more common in the southern/equatorial regions. Rare/non-existant in most others.s
Sometimes though you'll run into one out of place.
Ex-companion dinos (druid/ranger gets killed but the beast didn't), escapees from zoos, summoned, etc.
Oh, and the Loch Ness Monster.;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well in the game I am playing as a PC in Chult we have done three things with them:
1. Ride them
2. Eat them
3. Fight them
I've used one dinosaur in the last 10 years, and it was in Chult. I wouldn't use dinosaurs outside of a lost world type environment. Chult in my game is wild and dangerous, so there are some there.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
IMC feathered Velociraptors are a common predator found in both rainforest and desert areas. I’ve also declared the Owlbear to be a large ‘robust’ relative of the velociraptor. Griffins are also a form of raptor who have achieved flight.

Microraptors, Rhamporhyncus and smaller Pteradons are extant ‘birds’, rare in most settled areas but not uncommon in the wilderness.

I use Plesiosaurs as the standard Sea Serpents imc and have other dino species as rare but extant inhabitants of jungle and swamp areas.

Wyverns are reimagined as Thalassodromeus with the big boney crest

The big dinosaurs (T-Rex, Triceratops etc) are rare and usually only used as wow encounters - things like Saurian armies riding into battle on Triceratops mounts or Intelligent fiendish T-Rexs terrorising jungles.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Chickenasaurus Rex?

BE917034-4948-4017-95E0-5D6021647B3B.jpeg

Dioltach

Legend
The last dinosaur I remember using was THAC0.

Actually, more recently my group Summoned a T-Rex to swallow an evil artifact, then released it back to its home plane. Later they learned that this had caused a festering Evil to take root in what had once been an idyllic Garden of Eden.

Shiroiken

Legend
I just got done using dinosaurs! In my Greyhawk campaign, they mostly live in the jungles to the south of the Flanaess, such as the Amedio and Hepmonaland. The natives use the actual dinosaur names in their language, but outsiders just call them various types of behemoths (as per 4E). They also exist on various southern islands and in deep mountain valleys protected from the seasons.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
No dinosaurs but the Frozen North campaign I am putting together has an Ice Age vibe and animals to match.

P.S. Not THAT Ice Age - no Sid the Sloth in this campaign.

I kind of want to do a dinotopia inspired thing where dinosaurs are everywhere, often intelligent, and just another wacky fantasy beast alongside hydras, beholders, dragons, and everything else.

Remove ads