D&D 5E How do your roleplay?

Wiskeim

First Post
Hi,

Now, i ask you: how do u roleplay, perform, combats?

Do u describe your action, roll and DM roleplay accorded to rolled attack?

Do u roll and then describe your attack accorde to result?

Do u describe your action, roll and DM roleplay as soon as your result?

....or another option.

Thanks,
Wiskeim

kalil

Explorer
I dont condider "describe my attack" as a particularily interesting aspect of roleplaying. I mostly just attack. May shout an insult or kick over a barrel, but generally I dont waste time describing the exact arc of my blade as I loop the orcs head off. Maybe for a critical hit, but not for a regular swing.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Well,I'm normally the DM, so I can only really describe things form that perspective.

My players describe their intended action and roll the dice. I do the same for the monsters/NPCs/whatever. I then work the results of the roll into the narration, including some RAW nonexistent things like near misses, impressive strikes (distinct from critical hits and having more narrative value than game effect).

That's the long and short of it.

Wiskeim

First Post
ok, ok, but it is tasteless if u...roll attack, ok, roll damage, ok...then player goes and same...roll fair tasteless in this case.

Wiskeim

kalil

Explorer
Its a matter of personal taste I guess. I am not interested in books that are wordy in describing combat moves either. What makes the combat interesting is the effects it has on people and story, not the flashy combat moves (imho).

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Hi,

....or another option.

Thanks,
Wiskeim

"Roleplaying is, literally, the act of playing out a role. In this case, it’s you as a player determining how your character thinks, acts, and talks." (Basic Rules, page 66.)

For their part in the game, "The players describe what they want to do." (Basic Rules, page 3.) After that, the DM decides whether or not some kind of check is appropriate to determine an outcome, then narrates the result of the adventurers' actions. (Also on page 3 of the Basic Rules.)

So in my view you describe your action and wait for the DM to ask you to roll or not, then after the DM narrates a result and any change in the environment, you describe your action again (when appropriate). This loop continues throughout play. For example:

DM: The orc rushes down the hill toward you, raising its greataxe in preparation for a savage strike. What do you do?
Player: I raise my shield, grip the hilt of my sword, and meet him halfway with an attack of my own!
DM: Okay, let's see an attack roll against AC 13.
Player: *rolls* 18!
DM: Your attack is successful as you get past the orc's defenses - damage roll please.
Player: *rolls* 9.
DM: The orc's stops its charge and staggers for a moment before howling furiously. "Is that the best you can do?!" it shouts as it swings its axe in a wide arc...

Or

DM: The chamber appears to be empty except for broken furniture laying in a precarious wooden heap its center. Dust and cobwebs cover everything. You see no other doors. What do you do?
Player: I search the pile of broken furniture to see if there is anything of value hidden within.
DM: How long do you want to take doing that?
Player: It's a quick search. I know there are wandering monsters in this area, so I don't want to take a lot of time or make noise.
DM: Okay, let's see a Wisdom check.
Player: I'm trained in Perception. Does it apply?
DM: Yes.
Player: *rolls* 13.
DM: You spot something metallic under the pile of broken furniture, but it's hard to reach and wedged in there tight. What do you do?

And so on.

ok, ok, but it is tasteless if u...roll attack, ok, roll damage, ok...then player goes and same...roll fair tasteless in this case.

Wiskeim

The mechanics of D&D combat are abstract and light on flavor. We have static defenses,and hit point pools that that are whittled down through attrition. The entire process was designed to flow and be resolved quickly.

Role playing doesn't require fancy narration. In fact narration is often at odds with role playing. Simply making decisions and acting on them in character is perfectly acceptable role playing. Now if the players in your group really enjoy embellishing the details of every action and the group as a whole finds it fun to do then go for it. If everyone leaves the game having had a good time then you did it right.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Hi,

....or another option.

Thanks,
Wiskeim

Hi Wiskeim,

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate how you've framed your question about roleplay around combat. This highlights the fact that roleplay is simply making your character's decisions for them and that decisions made in combat are as much a part of roleplay as what you decide to say to the duke. If you are looking at the situation the DM has presented and deciding on a course of action that seems good to you, then you are doing it right.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
What [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] said, but with the descriptions becoming more creative as blood alcohol levels among the players (DM included) rise, reaching a plateau around the point that the larger members of our group finish their "last for the night so I can drive home when the session is done."

Remove ads