Level Up (A5E) How does 5.5e/6e impact Level Up?

richienvhm

Explorer
Not to mention I doubt it will be anywhere near as ambitious as Level Up has been like I said here:

Couldn't agree more.

I've participated in the O5e playtest and have seen how they removed martial maneuvers from the Fighter chassis. Also remember reading a Mike Mearls interview on how the Warlord would be included in the new edition. Even if WOTC promise us an evolution, they've yet to even let us know their design goals.

We know next to nothing about this next edition. It could be just the base 5e with Tasha's ancestry rules or it could be more ambitious. We also don't know whether there'll be a public playtest and if the changes they propose will stick.

Meanwhile, LU is just around the corner, delivering on what the surveys requested.

Since WOTC already lost me and my group to PF2, I'll give LU a try for our next campaign.

So far we like what we see. The name was originally going to be a place holder. What happened?
We brainstormed approximately 170 other names, and none of them captured the essence of the game better. Tons of neat-sounding but also generic-fantasy-RPG-sounding names were proposed, but Level Up at least conveys the point of "this is more than the basic D&D."

Sadly we couldn't use Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

We were trying to highlight the exploration pillar, and how the game could have more dynamism because of the advanced rules, so I suggested Dynamic Peril. It was pointed out that people googling DP to find our game might not be ideal.

For about 5 minutes we considered just taking the name from our the adventure path ZEITGEIST.

We considered every polearm name, and stuff like "Wizards, Blizzards, and Fire-Breathing Lizards." It really was a long discussion.

1632782493264.png

VanguardHero

Adventurer
There is really nothing WotC could do to make o5e less of a joke of design that I trust them to manage at all. Letalone better than Level Up. I don't even think things like Martials and Casters existing on fundamentally different scales of having agency within the world is something that matters to them. So I'll watch 5.5 with two minds, laughing at how terrible they are at designing games and watching with dread as people continue to throw money hand over fist at a company that is as good at designing games as they are at firing someone who brought on and enabled a serial sexual abuser instead of just pretending to fire him. I know Mearls being ousted wouldn't solve everything, but it'd be a small first step towards improving that they've refused to take for half a decade.

Addendum: Just want to clarify that my hatred of WotC is the core designers, not the Freelancers. I figure there's people here who have or know people who've worked there and that is not who I mean.

People liked it so it stuck.
Couldn't agree more.

I've participated in the O5e playtest and have seen how they removed martial maneuvers from the Fighter chassis. Also remember reading a Mike Mearls interview on how the Warlord would be included in the new edition. Even if WOTC promise us an evolution, they've yet to even let us know their design goals.

We know next to nothing about this next edition. It could be just the base 5e with Tasha's ancestry rules or it could be more ambitious. We also don't know whether there'll be a public playtest and if the changes they propose will stick.

Meanwhile, LU is just around the corner, delivering on what the surveys requested.

Since WOTC already lost me and my group to PF2, I'll give LU a try for our next campaign.
It is not going to be a new edition. If that is your expectation you are sadly mistaken.

Of course the are unlikely to make any substantive changes to the most popular, most financially successful edition ever. When sales eventually drop significantly, you might see a new edition. But that is looking to be a long time down the road at this point

Remove ads