D&D (2024) How does a New Setting with the One D&D Origins and Classes look?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So 5e is getting to a point where it will be redesigned before it get a new setting built around the ideas and mechanics of 5e. Now One D&D will b a thing and by continuing of the 5e, it will be too long in the tooth to not have a setting with its ideals.

So as of the September Playtest...

How does a setting look with Ardlings as a base assumption in the world?

How does a setting look with Dragonborns as a common occurrence and global power player?

How does Dwarves and Halflings having no origin based differences alter their role in a setting? What new kinds of Dwarves and Halflings might emerge?

How does all Elves and Gnomes having magic in their lineage alter their image in a setting?

How does Orcs being a base player option equal in importance as dwarves and elves alter this setting?

What does Tieflings having 2 more core legacies mean for the setting?

How does a world look if aspects found in 1st level feats are common enough to be found in adventurers?

To me the biggest new aspect that would differentiate a De D&D setting is 1st level feats. Other editions had 1st level feats but 5e does them so much differently. The magic one being Magic Initiate as a 1st level feat and part of a background. This really is huge. A first level feat is something everyone could get. Before you had to be level 4 or some super ambitious human to get magic that low level. Magic as a background as simple as an acolyte or guide means that magic is widespread enough that everyone could have some but not enough that its everywhere. Some random farmer might cast magic missile on some wild beasts because a wizard spent a week resting at their home and taught him a spell as a thank you. That and a possible normalization of ardlings, dragonborn, orcs, and tieflings means the perceptions of the setting's people would be different. A common peasant would not bat an eye to the sight of a dragonborn soldier or a town guard casting 1st level spells of a cutpurse.

"Well, my lord sent you all to see me? I'm just a cook. Oh. that. Well Do you remember when that Cult for that Fish Goddess swept through the Western Duchies? I kind of got brush up in that too. I'm not proud of it but they teach me a few things. So I know that spell. Bring your captive in. I'll do it since my lord sent you. Just stop eating the apples."

Another factor is Bounded Accuracy. 5e and One D&D will be built with the idea that AC and ACs only get so high so amost anyone can hit anyone else. That with a heavy desire for the return of the 4e minion rules by many could mean a heavy push of "Big monster with 3-5 henchman/handlers" play. One big monster to be the focus of play and a few minor threats to divert attention. With One D&D likely having celestial, fiend, and fey elements in the origins and having a push for formarly monstrous races on both sides of the screen, a setting can really run with "cultists summon/call/create a monster" play.

With the different styles of fantasy of the base 5e and possible One D&D playtest rules and the popularity of certain types of fiction, I could see a good base for an official magic intrigue setting where different factions compete for the loyalty and attention of adventuring parties. Dungeons in this setting would be the bases of opposing factions and manned with the officiers, henchmen, and monsters following the factions theme.

So what are your thoughts on a possible new setting for One D&D using its design goals and 5e design?

Yaarel

He Mage
The One D&D setting is too depend on "a god did it". Even to the point of divinely ordained racism in the sense of bioessentialism, and possibly fantasy racism, such as cultural hostility against tieflings. The game fundamentally changes into "Dungeons and Deities".

Yaarel

He Mage
In the effort to avoid reallife racist connotations, it is probably worthwhile to make orcs culturally express Intelligence and Charisma. Thus, the Orc race can prevent being stereotyped as one of the "savage natives" of the 1800s racism.

I like animistic and shamanistic reallife cultures. In D&D, there needs to be respectful, multicultural, and modern ways to characterize these kinds of worldviews.

aco175

Legend
We already had Waterdeep as a more cosmopolitan setting or 'Mos Eisley'. The published books might try to show more of this and have the things you mention more in the new books. I'm not sure how much it will change with races though. With the default still being human, maybe it will not be though, 70% of people will still be human and small towns should still have mostly human and a few others like it tends to have now. PCs are likely still a wide makeup for races, but local areas might not.

Part of me hopes Ardlings are removed somewhere in the playtest.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
A common peasant would not bat an eye to the sight of a dragonborn soldier or a town guard casting 1st level spells of a cutpurse.
This nicely wraps up why I haven't bought any D&D books since 3e. It's not medieval fantasy; it's D&D fantasy.

There could be a base setting, but if I were WotC I wouldn't worry about it. "Providing options," ( D&D reveal video) means selling multiple settings, and multiple alternative PHBs that offer different sets of classes, and origins and heritages and legacies (whatever) so players can choose (buy) to avoid the train wreck of a setting to which 1D&D is now headed.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This nicely wraps up why I haven't bought any D&D books since 3e. It's not medieval fantasy; it's D&D fantasy.

It hasn't been medieval fantasy for a loooong loooong time. Before 3e.

DM, players, and designers have been adding weird stuff to the dungeons for decades now. Then some want to pretend none of it leaks out.

WOTC has officially supported only 3 non-MTG settings since the start of 3e (Eberron, Nentir Vale, Exandria). All three are pretty much "You know all the magic and nonsense you all keep adding to the game. This is how a setting would look if it layed on top the land".

So eventually, there will be a 5e one. And based on the rules of 5e and OD&D, it wont be generic medieval fantasy.

Yaarel

He Mage
There could be a base setting, but if I were WotC I wouldn't worry about it. "Providing options," ( D&D reveal video) means selling multiple settings, and multiple alternative PHBs that offer different sets of classes, and origins and heritages and legacies (whatever) so players can choose (buy) to avoid the train wreck of a setting to which 1D&D is now headed.
I agree here.

The "core" Players Handbook can be: human only, setting agnostic, with the only default assumption being magic exists and is "medievalesque". This Players Handbook has all of the rules that are necessary to play D&D. (The DMs Guide has variant rules.)

Then there can be a Forgotten Realms Guide, a Ravnica Guide, a Dragonlance Guide, an Eberron Guide, and so on. Each setting has its own races and setting assumptions.

Of course, a DM can mix-and-match from these settings freely.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
We already had Waterdeep as a more cosmopolitan setting or 'Mos Eisley'. The published books might try to show more of this and have the things you mention more in the new books. I'm not sure how much it will change with races though. With the default still being human, maybe it will not be though, 70% of people will still be human and small towns should still have mostly human and a few others like it tends to have now. PCs are likely still a wide makeup for races, but local areas might not.

Part of me hopes Ardlings are removed somewhere in the playtest.
I dunno. I feel a lean that no settings will be more about full on racial nations and them having interactions with other racial nations.

The background sysem pushes that the elven society has orcish smiths, farmers, mages, priests, musicians, etc for your orc PC to come from. Your PCs origin no longer has to be an anomaly, just your PC's power is.

Yaarel

He Mage
I dunno. I feel a lean that no settings will be more about full on racial nations and them having interactions with other racial nations.

The background sysem pushes that the elven society has orcish smiths, farmers, mages, priests, musicians, etc for your orc PC to come from. Your PCs origin no longer has to be an anomaly, just your PC's power is.
Looking at the old scool 1e-2e "valley elf": it conveys that elves, gnomes, and humans are all sharing the same Valley of the Mage culture. The wizardry is prestigious. Any of these three races might be wizards there. It seems humans founded the culture but the other races became membbers of it.

This might work as a model for 5e cultures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases