Rules FAQ How Does Surprise Work in D&D 5E?

The unexpected attack is a common trope in D&D: Ambushes set by goblins to rob travelling merchants; Assassins sneaking into bedchambers to kill a sleeping mark; Treasure chest mimics, waiting to eat the curious and greedy; A doppelganger disguised as an old friend to attack when their target is most vulnerable. In all these situations, you might find someone is surprised once combat is initiated.

mimic - Gui Sommer.png

Mimic by Gui Sommer from Level Up: Advanced 5h Edition

This is the part of a weekly series of articles by a team of designers answering D&D questions for beginners. Feel free to discuss the article and add your insights or comments!

Surprise
Surprise is described in the Player’s Handbook as follows:

Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.
If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t.

Let's run through an example: Claudia the fighter and Sammy the ranger are walking down a dungeon corridor. A pair of bugbears wait hidden in an alcove to ambush them. As Claudia approaches, they leap out and attack!

Step 1. Has anyone failed to notice a threat at the start of combat? (Is anyone surprised?)

Did Claudia and Sammy notice the bugbears? In this situation the bugbears were hiding and the DM rolled Dexterity (Stealth) checks for each of them. Bunion the bugbear got a result of 13 and Krusher the bugbear got a 16.

To determine if the bugbear was noticed, compare the bugbears’ stealth results against Claudia’s and Sammy’s passive Perception.

Sammy has considerable experience with the dangers of dungeon delving, with a passive Perception of 14. As the encounter begins, she’s aware of a creature hidden in the alcove (Bunion). She isn’t aware of all hidden creatures, since she doesn’t perceive Krusher, but Sammy isn’t surprised at the start of the encounter, because she noticed a threat.

Claudia is oblivious with her passive Perception of 9. She is unaware of any hidden creatures, bugbears or otherwise, and before Sammy can warn her, the encounter begins! At the start of the encounter Claudia is surprised.

Step 2. Roll initiative

As a player, announcing your attack first, or surprising the other players and DM in real life, doesn't guarantee your character will attack first. It's up to the DMs discretion. Rules as written, any combat encounter begins with initiative rolls to determine who acts when.

In our example, rolls result in the following initiative order:
  • Bunion the bugbear rolls well and acts first in the initiative order
  • Claudia the fighter goes next
  • Krusher acts third
  • and Sammy acts last due to a bad roll
Step 3. The first round of combat

Unlike previous editions of D&D, in 5E there is no ‘surprise round'. Instead surprised creatures simply don’t get to act or move on the first turn of a combat.

Bunion leaps from the alcove! Moves up to the surprised Claudia and attacks with his morningstar. Having left his hiding place, Claudia sees him, so he makes his attack as normal, (without advantage - in D&D 5E surprised creatures don't grant advantage to attackers). He hits, and due to the Surprise Attack trait (Monster Manual page 33) he deals an extra 2d8 damage! Ouch! Bunion uses the last of his movement to get away from Claudia’s reach. Despite being hit, Claudia is still surprised and can’t take a reaction to make an opportunity attack.

Claudia’s turn is next. She’s surprised! She can’t move or take an action during the first round of combat, and her turn ends. At this point, Claudia is no longer surprised. Now she can take a reaction if the opportunity presents itself, and will be able to act normally on her next turn.

Krusher throws a javelin at Claudia from her hidden position. Krusher is unseen by Claudia so the attack is made with advantage. It’s another hit! Fortunately, Claudia isn’t surprised anymore, and doesn’t take any extra damage from the Surprise Attack trait.

Sammy’s turn is last in the initiative order. She isn’t surprised and can act as usual. She draws her longbow, takes the attack action against Bunion, and moves to take cover in another alcove.

Step 4. Resolve the combat

The rest of the combat is resolved as usual. Being surprised only affects Claudia during her first combat turn. And that’s it!

Like a condition, but not a condition
‘Surprised’
acts like a condition. It alters an creatures capabilities; no actions, movement or reactions, and has a duration specified by the imposing effect; the first turn of combat. However, in 5e it doesn't appear in the list of conditions found in the Players Handbook (Appendix A).

In 4E D&D surprised did appear in the condition list, and also granted attackers advantage against the surprised target. This is not the case in 5E. It's important to recognise that attacking a surprised creature isn't a source of the advantage. But a creature is often surprised by hidden creatures, and being hidden is a source of advantage on attacks.

Once a fight begins, you can’t be surprised again in the same encounter. If another hidden creature enters a combat encounter on a later turn, no one is surprised, although the creature still benefits from being unseen, granting advantage to its attacks.

Any noticed threat? No surprise
A creature is only surprised if it is completely unaware of any threats at the start of the encounter. In an ambush situation, that means if anyone of the ambushing group is detected, the gig is up! On the other hand, "a member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t.” so characters with low passive Perception are more likely to be surprised by ambushes, even if other members of the group aren't surprised.

This tends to favour monsters more than player characters, since groups of monsters are less likely to have as wide a range of ability modifiers to Perception and Stealth. An adventuring group will likely have a character wearing heavy armour, who'll consistently bring the group Stealth score down, likely ruining opportunities to set ambushes. Likewise, using single monster type groups means all the monsters have the same passive Perception, so either all of them will notice a threat, or none will.

In social encounters, in conversation, you'll almost never be able to launch a surprise attack. As soon as you make a move, they'll notice the threat. If however, you've built up trust over time, such as with a long friendly history with someone, you might surprise them with a sudden out-of-character betrayal.

What abilities interact with surprise?
There are abilities which specifically interact with surprise. This isn’t a comprehensive list, but here are some notable examples.

Monster abilities:
  • As mentioned in the example above, bugbears have a trait which deals extra damage to surprised creatures.
  • Creatures with the False Appearance trait (there are many) such as animated objects, mimics, ropers, and treants are undetectable as threats until they move, since they appear to be ordinary objects or parts of the terrains. They are a frequent source of surprise.
  • The gelatinous cube has the Transparent trait which specifies that a creature that enters the cube’s space while unaware of the cube is surprised.
Player abilities:
  • Most notably the rogue subclass Assassin has the 3rd level feature Assassinate which grants advantage against creatures that haven’t had a turn in combat and turns any hit into a critical hit against surprised creatures. Questions about surprise in 5e are almost always prompted by the assassin rogue.
  • A character with the feat Alert can’t be surprised as long as they’re conscious.
  • Although it’s not a specific interaction, the ranger subclass Gloom Stalker 3rd level feature Dread Ambusher (Xanathar’s Guide to Everything) only functions on the first round of combat, so being surprised is particularly bad for gloom stalker rangers, simply by denying them one of their most powerful features.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Gawned

Will Gawned

Shiroiken

Legend
Very slow indeed. But I think the quandary remains: even if the attacker took its time, how can you be not surprised if you didn't even hear the missile flying to you?
I just want to know your opinions; as DMs of course we can always come up with some narrative explanation.
Remember that initiative is an abstract concept: everything is taking place simultaneously in 6 seconds. In general this primarily matters for reactions, but also Assassinate. In this example, the defenders just happen to have a quicker reaction than would otherwise occur. The attacker wasn't slower, the defenders were just quicker or in a better position to defend.
The weird thing with the Alert feat is that you can go first in the initiative, not be surprised, but still be completely unaware of the thing you're not being surprised by.
This personally drives be bat-crap crazy. I had a barbarian in my game who could rage at the start of combat to avoid being surprised, yet regularly rolled low on initiative. As it was the beast totem, I narrated that he could smell the enemy, although not where they were. With Alert, I'd probably just give them an innate danger sense, that allows them to be wary, but never why. In both cases, pretty much the only options are Perceive, Dodge, or Ready.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's all-or-nothing in that there's never a situation in which some of the ambushers will be seen while others won't. An enemy against whom the group check succeeds will see none of them. An enemy against whom it fails will see all of them.

It's already all-or-nothing if 1 character rolls a 1 all opponents will detect them.

Saying it is all-or-nothing is supportive of using a group check.

It isn't though in practice. If the team beats PP 12 they might surprise one creature but fail to surprise another one that has PP 14.

That's all-or-nothing for each individual creature but not the group as a whole. It's the exact same as a regular check only you're not using the lowest roll. You're using the 2nd or 3rd lowest.

MarkB

Legend
It's already all-or-nothing if 1 character rolls a 1 all opponents will detect them.

Saying it is all-or-nothing is supportive of using a group check.

It isn't though in practice. If the team beats PP 12 they might surprise one creature but fail to surprise another one that has PP 14.

That's all-or-nothing for each individual creature but not the group as a whole. It's the exact same as a regular check only you're not using the lowest roll. You're using the 2nd or 3rd lowest.
Are you deliberately missing the point, or just deciding not to address it? With the group check, there is no way for one ambusher to remain hidden while another is visible, even if they're in different hiding places. That is what I mean by all-or-nothing.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Are you deliberately missing the point, or just deciding not to address it? With the group check, there is no way for one ambusher to remain hidden while another is visible, even if they're in different hiding places. That is what I mean by all-or-nothing.

Okay so what you mean by 'all-or-nothing' is different than all-or-nothing.

Fine.

You seem to be arguing that group stealth checks are against the rules. Is that true? Because they aren't and I've laid out why.

MarkB

Legend
Okay so what you mean by 'all-or-nothing' is different than all-or-nothing.

Fine.

You seem to be arguing that group stealth checks are against the rules. Is that true? Because they aren't and I've laid out why.
I'm just saying I find them inappropriate to an ambush situation, because in most such situations it would be reasonable for it to be possible to become aware of some of the ambushers while still being unaware of others - and that can't happen if they make a group check.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I'm just saying I find them inappropriate to an ambush situation, because in most such situations it would be reasonable for it to be possible to become aware of some of the ambushers while still being unaware of others - and that can't happen if they make a group check.

This is the whole point of a group check though.

For the better ones to help out the worse ones.

And what is the alternative in play? That a group with a heavy armour wearer just doesn't attempt stealth because they're going to fail more often than not? Instead of being a weakness of the character it becomes a drag on the group. That's just not fun for me.

I'm not trying to convince you to use them.

What I am saying is that group stealth checks are supported by the rules and should be included in a post about how surprise works.

We voted on giving disadvantage on the initiative roll of those that are surprised. This way, the ambushers have a better chance of having initiative and though it does not prevent the fringed cases mentioned above, it makes the rare enough to pass for divine intervention. This also helps out assassins to get that auto crit feature function as intended and actually be usable and reliable.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How you all handle legendary actions and surprise. Do you allow them on surprise round, or only after the creature has gone?
If the creature is surprised and hasn't gone, it not only can't act, but it can't react. A legendary action is a special action that acts similar to a reaction, so that seems like a no go to me.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
We voted on giving disadvantage on the initiative roll of those that are surprised. This way, the ambushers have a better chance of having initiative and though it does not prevent the fringed cases mentioned above, it makes the rare enough to pass for divine intervention. This also helps out assassins to get that auto crit feature function as intended and actually be usable and reliable.

Is that the intent though? Do you know that?

I read the main part of the assassinate feature to be the advantage on winning initiative.

The auto crit part was likely added on because in an ambush situation the assassin probably already has advantage so this way they still get a bonus for winning initiative.

Is the auto crit supposed to happen often? I don't think so.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases