D&D 5E How fast do you play D&D?

Wereox

First Post
With the group I DM, we play about twice a month. We played two 4-hour sessions last month and they hit level 4 by the end of the second session. All of them were new players, but they were extremely focused and worked really well with each other. I think group composition and focus, as well as the DM's "style", can very much effect how much play time it takes to level up. But generally, with my groups that play well together, in our 4-6 hour sessions, they level up once, if not more, per session. Higher levels are the exception to this though, and it takes a few sessions to level up once they get past the level 10-12 range, at least from what I've experienced.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Princes of the Apocalypse, every Wednesday night from 7 to 11 PM.

I really really miss being a teenager with no responsibilities, where six to ten hour D&D sessions were the norm.

the Jester

Legend
I run two groups, which I refer to as Team Alpha and Team Beta.

Team Alpha plays approximately 1/week. We usually go for between 5 and 8 hours each game. Pcs gain a level every few sessions; at the moment, they are split between 5th and 6th level. We've been playing for several months less than Team Beta, because we finished up our 4e game before starting 5e.

Team Beta probably averages 1.5 games/week. Usually a session is from 3 to 8 hours. Level gain is about the same rate; the highest level pc is 9th, and we've been playing since 5e launched.

practicalm

Explorer
I run a group at church that meets twice a month. After about 2 years of playing (starting with the playtest rules) the highest level character is 9th level most others are 7th or 8th. We play about 4 hours each time we meet. Not everyone shows up each time and people who don't show up get 1/2 xp to keep them from falling too far behind.

I also play at The Guild House in Bellflower (and occasionally run games) in AL games and one home brewed where I have 2 4th level characters (Paladin and Mystic) and a 2nd level wizard.

We meet every two weeks, and have been doing so for not quite a year now, with a few missed sessions due to scheduling conflicts. Our games usually last for 4-5 hours. In that time we've gone from 4th to 10th level. (I joined the game in progress, they let me start at the same level as everyone else.) So leaving out the missed weekends, I think it comes out to gaining a level every 3 sessions.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
My current gaming schedule involves one D&D game every other week with a 3-4 hour session, and the players gain a level about every 10-12 hours of playing.

Then there is a game that I run a session of whenever 3 particular players are available that has them level up at varying pace because it is adventure path based and that results in, for example, gaining 1 level over 5 sessions, then gaining 1 level every session for 3 session in a row.

And finally there is a game that I run a session of whenever 2 particular players are available and we aren't busy with catching up on our favorite TV shows that has so far had 20 hours or so of play and not quite involved a single level up (having started at 5th level, and playing through various B-series modules).

Remove ads