• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How fast do you play D&D?

Arcshot

First Post
My D&D friends and I are working adults with many life commitments, such that we can only meet up for rpg on an average of once per 2.5-3 months. Each session is about 8-12 hours. From the last few sessions, we see PCs levelling up one level per session. With 4 sessions already into our current campaign, PC is now 5th level each.Just wondering, how fast do you play D&D, based on level gain over time?

Inglorin

Explorer
Yesterday, on Frodo and Bilbo's birthday, we celebrated the one year aniversary of our campaign. We started at level 1 and are now level 5. We play about once or twice every month for about 4 to 5 hours. In my oppinion this is exactly the right pace.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I'm dming to two groups once every two weeks. Both groups play 4/6 hours as an average. Both with similar lvl up ratio 2.5 sessions aprox per level. With the oldest group we reach lvl 17 in almost two years with one and a half vacations month and some missed sessions. With the other we have been playing for a year more or less, we played the starter set adventure and then started from lvl 1 and now they are 8.
Also I have an online group that I dm once a week for two hours. We play for two and a half hour so they go really slow.
I'm playing a Dragonlance campaign, we don't have sorted for this, we were playing adnd 2d ed and then changed and a star wars campaign (using FATE) both once every two weeks for 3/4 hours.
I just finished university and suddenly have lot of time, when I start doing things for me I believe the index rpg time/free time will change. Still I like to keep it high.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I run every 2 weeks, for 3-5 hours per session. Currently level 8 after about 10 months.

Edit: we started at level 3, so it would be 1 level per 4 sessions.

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
With my Princes of the Apocalypse campaign, we've had 8 sessions (2-3 hours each about 21 hours of play) and pcs will probably hit 4th level after next session.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Lately my group has been playing online for 2 hrs per week. I have come to prefer these short weekly sessions to less regular, longer sessions (eg: we used to do about 8 hours once/month). I suspect we will end up doing a bit of both (mostly online 2 hrs, with the occasional in person longer 6-8 hr session around the table).

Playing play-by-post. We do one round per day. What people usually manage in a 4-6 hours session we need around 3 month for.

Reaching level x from level 1 takes:

Level 1 - 0 months
Level 2 - 3 months
Level 3 - 6 months
Level 4 - 12 months
Level 5 - 21 months

S'mon

Legend
Hours of play per level is a better guide than sessions or weeks/months to level, yup. 8-12 hours to level is pretty typical; my 5e online game might be 15 hours to level on average, but text-chat is much slower than tabletop. My Pathfinder game is typically about 8 hours to level (ca 2.5 sessions), my 4e game 12 hours/4 sessions. My Classic game probably closer to the 4e rate.

Edit - my 5e game: 35 online sessions, around 3x35=105 hours or so of play, PCs are 8th level or
nearly 8th, so 7 level-ups. That'd be exactly 15 hours of play to level, though it was faster levels
1-4 and slower now. If it were tabletop I'd expect around 8 hours/level.

Edit 2 - checked logs:
5e: 35 sessions, 105 hours, 7 level ups. 15 hrs/level.
4e: 92 sessions, 276 hours, 24 level ups. 11.5 hrs/level.
PF: 33 sessions, 115 hours, 12 level ups. 9.5 hrs/level.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
We try to play roughly every other week for 3.5 hours (meet at 6:30, start at 7:00, break at 10:30). We started with the starter module and moved into PoA. The group is just shy of 6th level, but I think they're a higher "percentage" through the module than that number implies; they've taken some advantage of the sandbox.

Edit: We started about the time the starter set came out. We had to start with the basic rules and I allowed the players to refit their PCs when the PHB was released.

michaeljpatrick

First Post
My current campaign has been running for a year and a half. Highest level character is 7. The other four are all level 6. We've played nearly every week for 2-3 hours on average. Usually on one or two encounters per session. The first session they all made it to level two. Then it took two or three sessions to level until they hit five. After that I stopped keeping track. At this rate it will be a couple years or more before they get to the really high levels. I'd like to see how that works out.

Remove ads