• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How good are Barbarians?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If you roll 3 high numbers in char Gen, and put them in the physical stats, Barbarians are stellar. With point-buy or the spread, not so great. Maybe 1Ebstyle minimums to take the class would be advised.

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm playing a halfling barbarian right now and I'm absolutely loving it. No armor and fights with a spear & shield. Basically 300 in halfling form. Actually plays more like a tank than DPS, but that suits me just fine.

I'm still debating between Bear and Wolf (only level 2 right now). I plan on taking Shield Master so with Bear Totem I'll effectively have Evasion against spells. We have a Dragonborn fighter in the the party though so Wolf would be nice since we fight side-by-side a lot.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Still in low levels here, but so far a nice hp sponge (not quite as impervious as a high-AC tank, but still very durable) and does very respectable damage. Probably be the first one to die, but will be grinning when it happens.

-The Gneech :cool:

hojulation

Explorer
I'm playing a halfling barbarian right now and I'm absolutely loving it. No armor and fights with a spear & shield.

One of my players is a halfling barbarian and he would definitely agree. He's gone with the two handaxe approach for the extra attack. Works pretty well for him, that is until the bard thunderwaves him off a cliff...

Derren

Hero
Barbarians, as presented in D&D, are silly.
You have a fighter without dicipline who does not wear a lot of armor, if any at all, and yet ends up as one of the most durable classes.
Thats completely backwards.

Remove ads