• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How good is the Book of Eldritch Magic?

reapersaurus

Explorer
As i remember about this, there was some VERY badly thought out (meaning too powerful) spells, but other than a few things to cut back on, it had a lot of good stuff.

nharwell

Explorer
BEM

Actually, I thought the PrCs in the Book of Eldritch Might were, in general, both more interesting and better balanced than those in Tome and Blood. Of course, that's IMHO....

Out of curiosity, what spells did you find too powerful? I haven't had a problem with any of them although, I have to admit, not all have been used yet in my campaign.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Re: BEM

nharwell said:
Out of curiosity, what spells did you find too powerful?

Bolt of Conjuring is questionable.

Off the top of my head: 3rd level, medium range, single target, ranged touch, no save. 1d4/level damage AND it conjures a Summon I creature to attack the target at the same time.

As for whether or not they are balanced, I generally trust Monte, but a combination of factors made the spell too good to be true as far as our party was concerned:

Our party wizard (a transmuter, barred from evocation, but not from conjuration, snicker snicker) zaps the bad guy, *and* a celestial badger pops out, and then *I* get to sneak attack the bejeezus out of him because he's suddenly flanked by a throwaway critter...

Wulf

the construct template is also real cool, you can finally create Minoton from that old sinbad movie!
Over all I'd say it's worth getting, especially as a PDF. That's the way I got it, now i can laugh at my friends because i got it for a measly $5.

Psion

Adventurer
Re: Re: BEM

Wulf Ratbane said:
Bolt of Conjuring is questionable.

Off the top of my head: 3rd level, medium range, single target, ranged touch, no save. 1d4/level damage AND it conjures a Summon I creature to attack the target at the same time.

Yup. I house ruled on that one right away. I figured I'd let the no save stand (basically, its like a pumped up magic missile), but the no Magic resistance just had to go.

The badger has been next to useless. Even if the party has though about using it to set up flanking attacks (and I am honestly astonished that they haven't thought of it yet), I have my "ignore" rule. Basically, if you think a target in unimportant, you can deny it granting a flanking bonus by ignoring it. The target gets a free attack of opportunity on you every round and treats you as stunned, but it cannot effectively flank you.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Heh...

Can I come to your game and disguise myself as a badger?

Ignore ME, will ya? (thwap-thwap-thwap-thwap-thwap)

Oh yeah... Expert Tactician: (thwap)

UD

First Post
I like the book, I have the pdf version, and a couple of my players have the softback paper copy. Its a funky book.

Psion

Adventurer
Whoops, forgot to add my two cents:

I think it is a great book, with some very interesting feats, prestige classes, spells, and magic items.

I do dislike that so little of it is OGC. In fact, this so vexes me, I am considering replacing all of my graven ones with Tatooed Mages (fron FanCC) and making an OGC mirror-themed-mage of my own.

PS: Wolf... typically only heavily armored or otherwise immune targets (e.g., outsiders with high DRs) typically use the ignore option.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Greater Sleep

I got railed by my players/friends when I got this book AND tried to use this spell SINCE I was an enchanter. The idea was I'd either incapatiate my enemies or charm them. I was seventh level.

Psion did you house rule this one?

reapersaurus

Explorer
All the things in there that increased the DC's of your spells are a VERY bad idea.

In general, it seemd Monte wanted to put out a book that basically gave mages the ability to do just about everything (i.e. there seemed a spell for every eventuality)

He doesn't seem to think that there's anything beyond the scope of a mage... (i'm surprised he didn't make a Sor/Wiz spell that Smites evil, or Cures Wounds, or helps the mage steal stuff)

The Primal Release spell seemed insanely powerful: +10 inherent bonus to STR?
I know I'd love to plop that onto my Strength-Smack and get into the 90's in STR. :)

I can't find the thing that really made me go ""Whoa" originally, but the various Mark * spells make me think he wanted his cake and eat it too...

Remove ads