Pathfinder 1E How "grimdark" is your Golarion?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
It can get pretty dark with some of the official adventures, however, unless I have a crowd in for horror, which is not often the case, we stick to general descriptions. Currently running Wrath of the Righteous, and up to know that's the darkest it has ever gone.

Arcanra

Villager
We go for PG13/R Rating, we played the Hell's Vengeance AP and that was pretty Over the Top. I am starting to run us through Carrion Crown in 2 weeks, and it will likely be a pretty dark, with Gothic Horror and Lovecraftian influences.

teitan

Legend
I’m a pretty dark DM. I don’t portray things like sexual assault but I don’t flinch with darker stuff. Have a hag NPC who is 8 feet tall and wears a necklace made with baby skulls and bones, it drives home bags eat children and all without the explicit portrayal of such a thing. I pull all the stops out for the creepy grim factor but try to be tasteful. We added a fifth player but we talked about expectations and levels of grimdark and as long as these discussions happen I don’t think an X card is necessary because most of the things that would call for an X card really boil down to don’t be a dill hole and really… why would you want to portray that stuff anyway!

CapnZapp

Legend
Why is this thread tagged 1st edition? Is it some kind of silent protest against Paizo's recent cleanup of the game? (The tag sends out the message my experiences aren't welcome, since the adventures are run through the 2E rules) At least I can't find anything above that is specific to 1E or even rules-related at all.

Green Onceler

Explorer
Why is this thread tagged 1st edition?
I've seen a number of comments online that suggest the setting has a markedly different tone between the two editions. Personally, I haven't read any P2 setting material, so do not know if this is an accurate claim. However, it could explain the P1 tag. The OP is interested in the original setting material and adventures.

I've seen a number of comments online that suggest the setting has a markedly different tone between the two editions. Personally, I haven't read any P2 setting material, so do not know if this is an accurate claim. However, it could explain the P1 tag. The OP is interested in the original setting material and adventures.

I've only read some of it, but a big part of the "cleanup" is largely having the classic adventure paths be successes (save those evil ones). The big ones are that the Worldwound was closed, Irrisen has a kinder, gentler white witch in charge, Cheliax is having problems (like losing a city as well as its colony in the Mwangi), and Taldor has a sane Empress. There are other changes around the edge (Like, Absalom no longer allowing slavery), but otherwise I'm not sure what's really all that different. <shrug>

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Irrisen has a kinder, gentler white witch in charge

This gave me a serious WTF moment. I spent 2-3 years running the Reign of Winter AP and it feels weird to hear that this is a thing.

I mean, yeah, that's (one of ) the goals for the AP. And in any given tables game achieving it is a good thing. But I worry that making this and the other mentioned changes to the published setting are limiting the opportunities for dramatic conflict.

This gave me a serious WTF moment. I spent 2-3 years running the Reign of Winter AP and it feels weird to hear that this is a thing.

I mean, yeah, that's (one of ) the goals for the AP. And in any given tables game achieving it is a good thing. But I worry that making this and the other mentioned changes to the published setting are limiting the opportunities for dramatic conflict.

This is understandable, but political change (especially of the drastic, sweeping sort) often leads to a great deal of resistance. For example, Anastasia might be queen, but if she's actually a kinder, gentler ruler I would suspect that there are plenty within the power structure who not only would resent her rule, but might well actively resist it. Same with Taldor, which is already steeped in intrigue. Conservative reactionaries (i.e. those who want to return to the older ways) would definitely still be powerful. Not only that, but there are huge challenges that would need to be reckoned with regardless: the Linnorm Kings do have a rightful claim on Irrisen and how the hell does a "good" queen deal with that?

So I'd say there's a huge bunch of dramatic conflict available, it's just not as obvious or direct as it once was. Instead we're in the messy business of transition and improvement, and all the obstacles and resistance that comes with.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I briefly considered continuing the Reign of Winter AP beyond it's official end. I didn't because high level PF (and DND etc.) is unplayable.

I thought about the the PCs acting as agents for Anastasia and her kinder, gentler regime fighting against the entrenched power structures of the old regime. In another game system it has potential but when the PCs are basically walking gods...

That's one reason I dropped the idea. General burnout on the AP was also a factor.

Remove ads