• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Have You Spent Excess Gold in Downtime?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
liquor-and-whores-cigarettesand-dope-and-mustard-and-bologna-meme-co-7242508.png

More seriously each character I've played usually has a goal as part of their background. Buy a ship, Return wealth and power to my noble family, build a church/cathedral/inn/kingdom/spy network etc etc.

Some of these are easier and cheaper than others.

5ekyu

Hero
I tend to spend it on some form of local investment... making contacts, paying folks to keep eyes abd ears for rumors of interest, letting pay-for-info be a known thing.

Other times if business or farm was hurt, often see if i can become investor or even owner... Again can lead to info later or just cool fun openings for RP.

I view gold as not a "combat reward" but a setting reward and focus its power there.

At one of our tables, the players are saving up in case they need to make a donation to the local temple in the off chance they need some dead PC raising services for one or more of them. Too bad the corrupt regional governor is rumored to be announcing a "resurrection tax" soon...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
In my homebrew campaign, much of it when for the upkeep of ship and crew and to support various organizations and factions they were involved with.

Exploration should involve long travel and significant expense. In lower levels, there should be some benefactor (but "bene" should be in scare quotes) covering these costs.

At higher levels, the party may fund their own expeditions.

At even higher levels, perhaps they have their own strongholds and lands. I've not done much with strongholds in 5e, but I backed Matt Colville's Kickstarter campaign, so I may be in the near future.

Draegn

Explorer
For the most part my players have purchased presents and gifts for various NPCs. Their next expense was costly clothing to fit into court functions, having the appearance of being civilized. The two rogues are fighting a war with a rival guild, while keeping it a secret from the rest of the party. The magicians have rather costly research and materials to purchase. The paladin donates to charities and good works. The druid and ranger work to bring back the faith in the Old Gods.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
My old half-elf sorcerer would spend his downtime painting portraits for various noble families throughout the Sword Coast and buying expensive wine to keep the gnome assassin black-out drunk (so she wouldn't go on a killing spree in town).

My old lizardfolk cleric spent his downtime constructing and decorating an underground temple-complex to hades . . . Which the Aasimar monk/rogue christened "the Underground Highway to Hell".

The only downtime my current half-orc cleric has had was spent in a wood elf village, where he was more concerned about being on his absolute best behavior so as not to get the locals mad at him. He therefore didn't get the opportunity to do much of anything.

BelleMuerte

First Post
My half-elf rogue/acolyte was raised in a temple. She has only had hand-me-down clothes, so downtime with extra gold means shopping. Dresses, hair ribbone, jewelry, and perfumed oils are common purchases. Plus she gives to the poor.

Remove ads