D&D General "HOW I RUN IT" - I made a D&D 'zine! (copies of Issue #5 - detailing stat drafts - rediscovered!)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
A couple stood out to me. I liked the damage charging powers of that great axe- that just seemed cool. But the one that really piqued my interest was Frojack's belt.

Partly because I like that it grants the wearer great strength, but with that strength comes some exhaustion. I like mechanics like that. I also (and this is the part that really got me) I love the history of it. This unbeatable troll that still wanders the land... if I was playing in that campagin, it would be so cool to come across a damaged cart or maybe a cottage ransacked, only to discover that we just missed Frojack!

Also, the tree that grows backwards- that's also super evocative to me. I immediately want to steal it, just based on the name.
The Axe of the Ancient Bond was just recently found in my current game and the barbarian is loving it. It is a great minion clearing and then do a ton of damage to the leader type weapon that has already started shaping his tactical approach.

I love the Great Troll Frojack so much I may just port him over into my current homebrew. ;)

Chochokpi the Tree that Grows Backwards was a part of Aquerra, one of the "Enigmas of the Cosmos," strange paradoxes whose very existence broke natural laws and that altogether created the weave of magic by virtue of their sheer impossibility. So no one knew Chochokpi's origins except that it appeared in different places and planes throughout history and that it was growing back into a seed. Legend has it that when it finally turns back into a seed, it will then explode outward destroying the cosmos as it makes a new one.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Who did the art, in particular the portraits for the "Out of the Frying Pan" campaign?

Some of the art is just straight up repurposed zine style, some of it is just public domain crap found on the internet, and those portraits were by my friend Colleen F., who did not play in that game but kept up with the story hour and was inspired to draw them. She did play in a couple of my older D&D campaigns. She teaches 5th grade art in Arizona now, if I remember correctly.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So I made a commercial to advertise the sale I am having to clear these out and get them into people's hands:

Login • Instagram (sound on)

You can get any three of the four issues for six bucks including shipping, while supplies last. Individual issues are four books via ko-fi or paypal or $5 via etsy.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I made a version without licensed music (public domain, baby!) so I can share it outside of Instagram.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Just a bump to tell people know I still have a handful of each of these left for sale - a great holiday gift for that grognard grinch or DM who is still new to Whoville. . . DM me if you're interested or check out the links in previous posts.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hey all! Just a heads up that I am running a giveaway for a "dragonkin barbarian" mini and some copies of my HOW I RUN IT zine over on instagram (details in the caption)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Issue #5 of HOW I RUN IT: STAT DRAFTS & Other Character Creation Options is now available.

I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with this project, but the continued popularity of and interest in my "stat draft" ability score determination method convinced me to do an issue detailing how to run one with sample arrays and an example draft taken from one of the ones I ran here on ENWorld!

It also includes three new lineages (what we call "races") that I use to replace the ones in the core 5E PHB: Fey-Touched (replaces half-elves), Orc-Born (replaces half-orcs), and two varieties of Lizard Folk (replaces Dragonborn). But they don't have to replace anything, I can't tell you how to run your game, I can only tell you how I run mine.

HIRI-5.jpg

If you send me four bucks via paypal or ko-fi I will send it to you (U.S. & Canada only, please) or you can check out my Etsy store where it is listed for five bucks.

Copies of issues #2, #3, and #4 are also still available.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Just bumping this to say that there is now a HOW I RUN IT website/blog in addition to the zine and wanted to share a link to it here. The site will build on what I present in my zines both as a supplement to those that make use of them and a source of material to put to use in your own games even if you don't get the zines. The zines will continue to be printed once or twice a year, and while I will use the site for errata and expansion material, I am trying to not overlap it too much.

Currently, there are about six article giving a taste of some of the stuff I plan to present (mostly practical things like stat blocks and lore for my spin on monsters, conversions of old spells, etc. .). However, I do plan for some future content doing some critical analysis of D&D material of the past (mostly) and present (some).

Remove ads