D&D 5E How Important is Stranger Things to the Success of 5e

How important is Stranger Things to the meteroric success of 5e?

• 1. Stranger Things is the most important factor to 5e's success.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 2. Stranger Things is one of the important factors to 5e's success.

Votes: 33 24.1%
  • 3. Stranger Things has had a minor, but positive, impact on 5e's success.

Votes: 80 58.4%
  • 4. Stranger Things has had little or no impact on 5e's success.

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • 5. The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't to search for meaning.

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Poll closed .
I kind of question whether, certainly prior to this season, Stranger Things did anything but confirm nerd stereotypes, re: the main player group for D&D. The main kids are super-nerdy. They're kids who would have made me at the same age, a nerd, look like a super-cool kid in shades and a letter jacket by comparison.
Really? Me at that age (which was that age) would have made Dustin look like a super-cool kid in shades and a letter jacket by comparison.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I based my answer off the high school students I am around. I cannot think of one student that plays that does not watch Stranger Things. It would be like asking us as kids how important the Lord of the Rings books were to our interest in D&D. Or, at the least, the Conan movie. In the end, it is not the most important thing, but it is pretty darn important to the younger generation of players.

On a personal note, despite literally everyone telling me to binge, I have not found the time yet to watch the show.
That might be putting the cart before the horse IMO.

I read fantasy novels and play fantasy video games because fantasy appeals to me, which is also a big part of why D&D appeals to me. Had I been introduced to RPGs prior to novels and video games, I inevitably would have still read fantasy novels and played fantasy video games.

Most of the gamers I know have watched and really enjoyed ST. However, most of us are in our 40s and started playing RPGs decades before ST existed. And there are several people I know, including my wife, who really like ST but aren't into TTRPGs.

I do think that ST has almost certainly had a positive impact on the popularity of D&D, but I suspect that it is relatively minor. In an alternate universe where ST never existed, I don't think the number of people playing D&D would be dramatically different (although I do expect that overall public awareness probably would be significantly reduced).

Yeah, same. This is young Ralif in the 80s (not sure on the exact date, but since I was wearing glasses it had to be late 80s):

1659635836819.png

Really? Me at that age (which was that age) would have made Dustin look like a super-cool kid in shades and a letter jacket by comparison.

One thing I'd also like to add to the conversation is that while 5e has had a great confluence of external events, they have also been able to capitalize on them. Whether it's the Explorers Guide to Wildemount or multiple live play sessions with the stars of Stranger Things and Game of Thrones, they've worked to take advantage of these opportunities and synergies.

Yeah, same. This is young Ralif in the 80s (not sure on the exact date, but since I was wearing glasses it had to be late 80s):

View attachment 256419

One thing I'd also like to add to the conversation is that while 5e has had a great confluence of external events, they have also been able to capitalize on them. Whether it's the Explorers Guide to Wildemount or multiple live play sessions with the stars of Stranger Things and Game of Thrones, they've worked to take advantage of these opportunities and synergies.
I can beat that.
1659637613723.jpeg

1985. And I still wear glasses.

Remove ads