D&D General How Important Is The "Shared Experience" To You?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Is this shared experience important to you?
Not really.

Do you like comparing experiences with other players who have gone on the same adventures?
It’s fun trading war stories. I don’t usually care beyond that.

Though I did name drop Keep on the Shadowfell in a game recently. Hopefully the other people in the game understood the reference (regarding tedious slugfests). The last fight in that adventure was pretty bad (at least how our GM ran it was bad).

Is it a selling point for you?
See my answer to #1. I look at adventure modules as tools, so I don’t put much effort (if any) into staying on script. Even if we use a common base, our experiences will still end up unique.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Not really.

It’s fun trading war stories. I don’t usually care beyond that.

Though I did name drop Keep on the Shadowfell in a game recently. Hopefully the other people in the game understood the reference (regarding tedious slugfests). The last fight in that adventure was pretty bad (at least how our GM ran it was bad).

See my answer to #1. I look at adventure modules as tools, so I don’t put much effort (if any) into staying on script. Even if we use a common base, our experiences will still end up unique.
See, that's exactly why I like the shared experience. If folks are complaining about a slugfest, I know exactly the types of changes to make to bring the module up a notch (assuming I dont want slugfests!). On the other hand, if folks are raving about a particular encounter or module conclusion, it helps amp me up for running it myself. YMMV.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
See, that's exactly why I like the shared experience. If folks are complaining about a slugfest, I know exactly the types of changes to make to bring the module up a notch (assuming I dont want slugfests!). On the other hand, if folks are raving about a particular encounter or module conclusion, it helps amp me up for running it myself. YMMV.
Sure, it can be helpful to know about potential problems. I knew of a few problems that way when I ran Pathfinder APs. But I don’t run those kinds of adventure modules anymore, and that’s reflected in my answer.

The only kind of adventure module I’m likely to run now is one that provides a situation with no answer or a site to explore. Combat for its own sake shouldn’t be a thing (so no reason to worry about encounter balance or pacing). We ended up having no combat in the last one I ran, Halls of the Blood King.

Remove ads