D&D 4E How is the 4e announcement affecting your game groups?

Tuerny

First Post
I let my group know we would be switching to 4e. No one complained and most everyone sounds neutral-to-positive about it. Yay!

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
7 players and 1 DM.

1 player scared of 4E, mainly for financial reasons that don't make logical sense. (See definition of sunk cost.)

2 players uncertain of 4E. Some previewed stuff they like, some they didn't.

4 players and the DM "pro-4E"...but that really just means "pro-trying-4E-out-to-see-how-it-is".

None of us are really afraid of "change" and none of us are losing sleep over the Great Wheel or somesuch being modified.

We're pretty happy with 3.5, and I'm sure we'll be pretty happy with 4E.

It ain't the game, anyway. It's your friends around the table.

W.P.

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
My group hasn't talked about 4e much. Our campaigns typically last 6 months and we just started a new one so we would be well placed to try it when it comes out. I'll definitely be buying. I think I might run H1 and we can see if the new edition roxxorz or suxxorz.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I play in Seattle, which has a huge D&D population. The largest on meetup.com, anyway. I know a lot of these people in person, having met through RPGA and other organizations. Everyone I know is planning on switching to 4E. Most are planning on switching as soon as possible, while a few are going to wait a bit before switching over. I haven't even heard of anyone who intends to stick with the old edition.

Message boards are a different story, of course.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
My group is all cautiously excited. They've liked what they've heard so far -- details about halflings excluded -- and they think it sounds fun. Tonight one player mentioned wanting to play a rogue in a 4e game when we start a new campaign.

So far, so good!

i dm 2 groups one of 2 player one of 4 .
group 1 , 1 player just said no. i like the rules so no
2nd player doesnt care but doesnt see a point
group 2
1player also said no dont like what he saw likes the rules we use
2 dosent care will play any thing
3 and 4 are married and have no intrest in investing in more books when they like the system we use

and me the dm. well i like 3e we play 3e with soem 3.5 fixings such as classes and have a lot of books i really havent got to use all that much. not likeing all of what im seeing so im playing 3.5 for dnd

Slander

Explorer
Out of our group of six, I'm for it, one is against it, and the rest couldn't care less. But everyone is pretty much in agreement that after we finish up our current campaign (late '08, early '09), we'll at least take a look at it.

Agamon

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
My group is all cautiously excited. They've liked what they've heard so far -- details about halflings excluded -- and they think it sounds fun. Tonight one player mentioned wanting to play a rogue in a 4e game when we start a new campaign.

So far, so good!

Personally speaking, I'm the same way (except that I love the halflings and I'm not so sure about the Heroic path being fun).

My group? The eldest and most vocal has been against the idea of 4E since 3E came out. He doesn't buy much in the way of books, but complained about 3.5 and only bought the 3.5 PHB. He keep saying he doesn't want to play, but he's less adamant every time he says it, knowing that my own opinion has swayed from initially not interested to now liking what I'm seeing. He can't complain about the cost of a new PHB, I'm getting him one for his birthday. He can't complain about new rules, because he likes the fact they we're starting an M&M game soon, a game he's never played before. So, it's basically stubbornness that he's dwelling on and he knows it.

The other four know next to nothing about it and raise an eyebrow at it's mention. Fear of the unknown, I think. So my copy of R&C is getting passed around right now. I'm fairly sure our next D&D game will be 4e. The only thing I'm absolutely sure of is that my current, almost finished, AoW game, will be my last 3.x game, as DM or player. Nothing like a 1-20 AP to showcase the game's faults.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I'm about a week away from starting up my Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords campaign, so that will be a Third Edition game.

It will also be my last Third Edition game unless I turn out to hate Fourth Edition, since if I have the time and energy to start another game before June it certainly wouldn't be a Dungeons & Dragons game. I am far more likely to run a one- or two-player Vampire: The Requiem or Mage: The Awakening game, or Star Wars Saga Edition set in the Knights of the Old Republic era, or GURPS in an alternate history setting, or . . .

You get my point. I'm excited about Fourth Edition, but D&D is hardly the only game I care about. :) Wizards of the Coast should be thankful I don't know enough about Hunter: The Vigil to start getting excited about it!

Captain Tagon

First Post
My group currently rotates between HERO system games and indie press RPGs.

The 4e announcement and info has us contemplating playing DnD as a group for the first time ever.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases