D&D General How long do new players get before they're expected to know the rules?

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
What it says on the tin. On the one hand, you want a welcoming environment where new players can settle in and learn. On the other, it's not unreasonable to expect a bit of effort.

So here's the question: Where do you guys draw the line between, “Learn to play!” and, “Dude, can I have a second to learn the game?” When does the burden shift from GMs needing to be patient to players needing to crack open a rule book?

Comic for illustrative purposes.

Vael

Legend
I have players that struggle to find the appropriate dice after years of playing. I make them cheat sheets and it's still a chore sometimes.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
When teaching a new player, I start them out with a set of pregenerated 1st level characters based on familiar fantasy archetypes, which they can choose from and fill in the descriptive details. I will then run them through a one-shot adventure to teach them how to play. After that, if they want to keep playing they can make a new character of their own, and at that point I expect them to know their own abilities. It’s not like it’s a terribly difficult game to learn.

Possibly soon. Possibly never. Some people can figure out rules easily, and then go well beyond that to optimizations and homebrewing their own rules. Some people have a hard time adding up the numbers on multiple dice, or adding a skill value to a d20 roll. Yes, I know both of these types.

With respect to the comic, it depends on whether she's lazy and not even trying, or if she's genuinely just kinda slow. Or a little of both. The line would depend on what it seems she's actually capable of. If remembering what she can do is actually a bit hard for her, then the line should never be brought up. If she puts in the effort to improve, even just a little at a time, then there's no particular limit. But if she demonstrates that she is entirely capable, but doesn't want to help, or put in the effort to make the game easier for the table as a whole, then I'd say the line has been crossed.

A couple sessions, more if they have never gamed before, to master the non-spell combat system. (inexperienced players do not run spellcasters at my table) and the general outline of the setting.

But you have to show progress. If you can't be bothered to do a little reading between sessions, you're not what we're looking for.

Gaming with us is a privilege awarded only to the most worthy. Many apply, but only a few are chosen, because the secret to good gaming, IME, is making sure that the players and GM are compatible in expectations and inclinations. The hobby is certainly open to all, but individual tables, to be successful, need careful matching of personalities.

As long as the player can describe what he or she wants to do and hopes to accomplish by doing it, that's good enough for me.

Yup. This is my take. I had a player in my longest-running (decade+) campaign who never bought any of the books and hadn't a clue about how the mechanics of her character worked. But, she had a clear vision of her character, was a great roleplayer, and was happy to abide by whatever mechanical effects I imposed based on her descriptions. She was awesome and nobody at the table would have wanted her to leave. My only caveat here is that I expect turns in combat and other tense situations to move quickly. I expect everyone to have default, go-to moves that they take if they can't figure something else out. If you're deep in the rules reading about a dozen possible spells, I'm going to make a call and move on.

If I hypothetically had a player who didn't know the rules and also didn't seem to be having a good time or was actively distracting the other players, then I would politely invite them to find another hobby (or at least another group to distract). But, that would be because they were subtracting from the group experience, not because they didn't know the rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases