D&D General How long do new players get before they're expected to know the rules?

I have a player who has been playing for over 25 years, and often corrects me on the rules (and is right about it!) who still confuses d8s and d10s. People learn what they learn.

jasper

Rotten DM
What it says on the tin. On the one hand, you want a welcoming environment where new players can settle in and learn. On the other, it's not unreasonable to expect a bit of effort.

So here's the question: Where do you guys draw the line between, “Learn to play!” and, “Dude, can I have a second to learn the game?” When does the burden shift from GMs needing to be patient to players needing to crack open a rule book?

Comic for illustrative purposes.
6 months for regular players , 9 months for people with learning problems. six years for comics.

It seems to that every time this topic comes up, it really is because a GM or player somewhere expects everyone at the table to have the same level of interest in knowing the rules that the inquirer does. i.e. I'm the GM and I want to know every rule, everyone should too!

It's ok for different people to have different priorities. Some just want to show up at the appointed time and location, get into their character and help tell a story narrated by the GM. Some want to know every detail and possible thing the rules allow their characters to do.

I've learned over time, that when we place expectations on other people, we are often disappointed.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Hey the rules say you have pay Morrus $5 every time you post crazy stuff. Just send to me and I will wire it to him. This is a Rotten DM rule.
Not really. I think the word needs is a bit strong, but I understand the sentiment.

For games I'm in (but not necessarily running):

I think the DM should to know most of the rules and/or be familiar enough to make a ruling that is based on the way the rules work. Especially for rules heavy systems.

The players don't need to know the rules. It's nice if they do, but they don't need to. They should, however, after a few sessions, have a passing familiarity with the flow of the game so they don't hold up the other players.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've been playing longer than some of you have been alive, and I don't know all the rules, and I usually DM. Knowing the rules in and out just isn't important to me...

About a year. I don't expect you to know every rule in the book, but you should definitely know your own class. It's disrespectful to me if you don't put in some effort.

It's one of my biggest complaints about Critical Role. They've been doing D&D for too long to not know their stuff.

Remove ads