D&D General How long do new players get before they're expected to know the rules?

G

Guest 6801328

If they can't bother to achieve some level of system mastery and study the forums to optimize their build then they should go find another game. Especially if they are girls.

Ha. Kidding.

I'm with @iserith. If they can describe what they are trying to do and how they are going about it, if I call for a roll I don't mind figuring out for them what their die modifier is.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Yeah. I have no issues with Mr. Mercer as a DM. Minor quibbles at best, such as his reliance on single enemy boss fights which definitely favors full casters, but that's small potatoes compared to all the things he does right. Including dealing gracefully and quickly with his players forgetting stuff. :p

I guess that's an important lesson from the world's most famous DM. Part of being the man behind the curtain is making the world run smoothly. When the internet at large rolls their eyes about the cast missing rules, Mercer himself keeps his cool. Not a bad trait to pick up.

Remove ads