D&D General How long does a body take to decompose in a bag of holding? (Asking for a friend...)

Decomposition is governement by the God of Rotting Things, who command that bodies are decomposed after 10 days so much that Raise Dead is no longer possible, unless He is appeased through the use of the Gentle Repose ritual. What are those bacteria you're speaking of? Some kind of archons serving Him?

Thanks for all the good advice:

One day after stashing them, he'll come back and find them gnawed. Two days later, and only bones are left. And three days later, and the bag will be empty.

What you've described is exactly how a bag of devouring is born...

I loooove this! I'm not the DM, though. I might whisper the idea in his ear...

decomposition will be slower but in the end it will happen.

You could slow it down further if you throw in a kilo or so if fine iron dust as an oxygen absorber.

Vacuum sealed meat can last at room temperature for about two weeks before the point you wouldn’t want to eat it.

I don’t know what the experiments entail but assuming they involve reanimating the remains, i’d say that’s about the time you lose the freshness and start the decay.

Except, every time you open the bag, it lets in more air....

One thought that occurred to me is if the Bag of Holding is from the Artificer's Infusion, it seems reasonable for the artificer to be able to modify it so that it is a vacuum.

Now that might not help with his current meat supply, but hey Kobold's are hard working, if nothing else.
Huh, that's a good point! It could, basically, give the extra effect of a Gentle Repose.

What you need is Heward's Handy Bodybag.*

*This is a throwback to Wulf Ratbane's Story Hour for you old timers. ;)
It's been a while so I'm foggy on the details but I remember!

Decomposition is governement by the God of Rotting Things, who command that bodies are decomposed after 10 days so much that Raise Dead is no longer possible, unless He is appeased through the use of the Gentle Repose ritual. What are those bacteria you're speaking of? Some kind of archons serving Him?
+1

jasper

Rotten DM
One day after stashing them, he'll come back and find them gnawed. Two days later, and only bones are left. And three days later, and the bag will be empty.

What you've described is exactly how a bag of devouring is born...
By the power invested in me by the internet GAWDS. All bags of devouring Must be called "Delericho Bag". I further proclaim, and bags of holding which have bodies in for more 7 days become "Delericho Bag". So it is said. So it shall be done!

Oofta

Legend
Assuming it works like a sealed coffin, the body will undergo anaerobic decomposition. Long story short, instead of decaying the body basically melts because there's nowhere for the water in your body to go. So leave the body in the bag and after a couple of days everything in the bag will be covered in corpse goo.

So sure, put that body in the bag. Good luck finding anything while searching through corpse soup.

Ambush

Explorer
Assuming it works like a sealed coffin, the body will undergo anaerobic decomposition. Long story short, instead of decaying the body basically melts because there's nowhere for the water in your body to go. So leave the body in the bag and after a couple of days everything in the bag will be covered in corpse goo.

So sure, put that body in the bag. Good luck finding anything while searching through corpse soup.

...just turn the bag inside out to get out the soup..............

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The scientific (and fan of all the CSI and NCSI series) in me applaud your response, the gamer is disgusted. Corpse soup... The bag of devouring suits my fancy in more than one way. It gave me devilish ideas for the artificer in one of my groups.

Remove ads