• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Long is Too Long?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So what does everybody think about curling in the Olympics?
You know, American bowling somehow became associated with disco, and is having a bit of a cultural resurgence in terms of social acceptability. The balls are florescent, the music is silly when you've had a few beers, and cute girls can be found in the vicinity.

Curling lacks disco, and remains uncool.

So: do whatever you want with curling in the Olympics. I'll skip that part (or watch figure-skating re-runs instead).

Cheers, -- N

pawsplay

Hero
If I'm bothered by my own off-topicness, I do not post. If I am bothered by someone else's, I try to redirect the discussion, I ignore it, or I abandon the thread.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I think there's merit to the idea that whoever started the thread has some say as to posts being off-topic. I wouldn't go so far as to say they dictate what is off-topic or not; only mods really have the power to dictate how to post or how not to post on the boards. However, if the original poster of a discussion asks that things be moved back on topic, I think that warrants some consideration from other posters. Otherwise, that is essentially a thread-jack.

I think that "off-topic" itself does have a definition, and can broadly be determined by looking at the thread. If a post is essentially ignoring the topic of the discussion at hand, that is off-topic. That doesn't mean the conversation can't grow organically, and with a message board may be thought of more like a tree. However, to use this thread as an example, the threads on disco are clearly off-topic, despite the rest of Nifft's post that is on-topic. Obviously this is a clear cut example, but generally applicable.

Nifft said:
For instance, now that your question has been answered (to my satisfaction), I'm free to disco.

I have to entirely disagree with this though. Simply because a poster has posted to a thread to their satisfaction, that doesn't open the gates for off-topic stuff. While it might be the end of the discussion for the specific poster, it might not be the end of the discussion for the original poster or other posters.

I know we're all being silly in this thread, and overall the board is pretty light-hearted and jolly. However, if (for example) Vyvyan Basterd steps in and asks us to please take it elsewhere, I think we have an obligation to do so. After all, the stuff about the disco isn't actually contributing to the thread discussion.

Unless, of course, I just made it contributing, in which case my head hurts. :p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
However, if the original poster of a discussion asks that things be moved back on topic, I think that warrants some consideration from other posters.

Being considerate is always cool. :cool:

However, if (for example) Vyvyan Basterd steps in and asks us to please take it elsewhere, I think we have an obligation to do so.

If it is an obligation to do so, you aren't being considerate. I far prefer it when people are good to each other because they want to be, and because it makes the boards a nicer place, than because they feel the action is an imposed requirement.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I think that a lot of the women involved in Curling seem hawt, if that answers the question at hand.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think that "off-topic" itself does have a definition, and can broadly be determined by looking at the thread. If a post is essentially ignoring the topic of the discussion at hand, that is off-topic. That doesn't mean the conversation can't grow organically, and with a message board may be thought of more like a tree. However, to use this thread as an example, the threads on disco are clearly off-topic, despite the rest of Nifft's post that is on-topic. Obviously this is a clear cut example, but generally applicable.
My goal is frequently to educate, illustrate, and entertain.

I have to entirely disagree with this though. Simply because a poster has posted to a thread to their satisfaction, that doesn't open the gates for off-topic stuff. While it might be the end of the discussion for the specific poster, it might not be the end of the discussion for the original poster or other posters.
If the discussion picks back up again, so does the endeavor to contribute to it.

Unless, of course, I just made it contributing, in which case my head hurts. :p
It was always contributing: it was in the illustrative and entertaining category.

I think that a lot of the women involved in Curling seem hawt, if that answers the question at hand.
Congratulations, you've transformed an off-topic thread-jacking into a thread jacking off topic.

"Stayin' classy", -- N

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I've heard that many women find male curlers hot, but it is less about looks and more about them actually using a broom to sweep something. My wife seems to agree...

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've heard that many women find male curlers hot, but it is less about looks and more about them actually using a broom to sweep something. My wife seems to agree...

I wonder if a Swiffer Sweeper WetJet would work for curling?

Well, I'm convinced now that we Americans suck at curling, male or female. At least we beat Canada in something that matters - Men's Hockey - on their home turf.* ;)

GO USA! B-)

*But not in the final game that mattered... :( Congrats, Canada, and thank you for hosting a wonderful Olympics. :)

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Sorry, I realized that I went off topic and never answered the original question posted:

How long is too long? Well, you are supposed to call your doctor after more than four hours...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads