D&D 5E How long would it take to mine a gold vein in medieval times?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Does anyone know where I can find stats on mine production in medieval times? Say a rich gold vein was discovered. How much ore could be removed from from the mine daily/monthly? I know that it depends on number of people and other factors. I'm just trying to get some general stats I can extrapolate from. I realize in a D&D fantasy world there is magic that can speed things up but I want to start with mundane numbers as a basis.

Yaarel

He Mage
Does anyone know where I can find stats on mine production in medieval times? Say a rich gold vein was discovered. How much ore could be removed from from the mine daily/monthly? I know that it depends on number of people and other factors. I'm just trying to get some general stats I can extrapolate from. I realize in a D&D fantasy world there is magic that can speed things up but I want to start with mundane numbers as a basis.
The accessibly of gold depends on the soil.

Most medieval gold came from easily accessible river gravel.

Is your gold source imbedded deep inside rock?

The speed of tunneling varies greatly, depending on the hardness of the rock and the abundance and ease of extracting the gold, from say 10 meters per year to comb thru carefully to a 1000 meters a year to blitz thru.

Some are pit mines. with an open sky, more like a rock quarry.

How much a mine (or region of mines) produces varies extremely, from ounces to tons.

How long a mine (or region of mines) remains active also depends. Often centuries.

It seems to me, you can just make up whatever you want.

Notably, tunnel mining is extremely dangerous from cave-ins, poison gases, lack of oxygen, flooding, etcetera.

Celebrim

Legend
I think there is a good dragon article on this IIRC, but I don't remember the details other than the title: "In a Cavern, In a Canyon..." by Thomas Kane.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
My impression is, archeologists have a clearer idea of how ancient mining worked (Roman Period and earlier), than medieval mining.

For example, Ancient Egyptian mining is now reasonably well understood.

Inferring from different articles, it seems most of the medieval European gold came from the rivers in East Europe (places like Thracia, Bulgaria, Slovakia, and earlier Dacia), altho lesser amounts could be found across Europe.

Interestingly, one article stated that in Europe the medieval mining techniques were less good than during the Roman Period.

Celebrim

Legend
Interestingly, one article stated that in Europe the medieval mining techniques were less good than during the Roman Period.

Depends on the part of the Middle Ages we are talking about. By the 11th century, the Medievals were outperforming the ancients. By the end of it the medievals had worked out some sophisticated mechanized mining techniques for getting water out of mine shafts.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
@MNblockhead it seems your main question Jason been covered, but if you aren't aware of it I would recommend checking out the following book, which is a classic third party supplement from the 3E era that is in the 5E DMG Suggested Teading list for very good reason:

Remove ads