• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 How many attacks for 3.5 Ranger?

dragon42

First Post
As a 7th level 3.5 ranger with two weapon fighting I get up to two attacks with my primary weapon (from the +7/+2 base attack) and two attacks with my off hand weapon (from Improved Two Weapon Fighting).

My reading of the rules seems to indicate that if I make a full attack action I get all four attacks, but if I move more than the 5 foot step I only get one attack. Is this correct?

Also, with a full attack, can I use the off hand parry feat in the slot for my first off hand attack, and then make the second off hand attack with the I2WF feat?

Skaros

First Post
dragon42 said:
As a 7th level 3.5 ranger with two weapon fighting I get up to two attacks with my primary weapon (from the +7/+2 base attack) and two attacks with my off hand weapon (from Improved Two Weapon Fighting).

My reading of the rules seems to indicate that if I make a full attack action I get all four attacks, but if I move more than the 5 foot step I only get one attack. Is this correct?

Correct.

From the SRD:
Full Attack
If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two
weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You
do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning
the later ones.
The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your
attacks.

Skaros

Rackhir

Explorer
dragon42 said:

Also, with a full attack, can I use the off hand parry feat in the slot for my first off hand attack, and then make the second off hand attack with the I2WF feat?

The "single attack when moving more than 5ft" rule applies to pretty much any form of attack, melee, missile, TWF, FWF, BBEG, etc... It basically doesn't matter what feats you have, you are still stuck with one attack if you have moved more than 5'.

I think there are some PrCs that have a class ability that may permit you to still do a full attack. I think the Singe Rager? (from Oriental Adventures) as one of it's higher level abilitys grants the ability to do a "Pounce" attack which permits the character to do a Charge (only) and still get a full attack at the end of the charge.

With regards to the parry question. That sounds okay to me, but I'm not terribly familiar with all the 3.5 rules yet. It may be that the attack would have to be first and the parry second. In either case remember that addtional attacks and possibly parries are at a cumulative -5 per attack.

coyote6

Adventurer
Re: Re: How many attacks for 3.5 Ranger?

Rackhir said:
The "single attack when moving more than 5ft" rule applies to pretty much any form of attack, melee, missile, TWF, FWF, BBEG, etc... It basically doesn't matter what feats you have, you are still stuck with one attack if you have moved more than 5'.

With a few rare exceptions, like the hydra.

dragon42 said:

Note that Off-Hand Parry hasn't been updated for 3.5, but as it reads now: "... sacrifice all of your off-hand attacks for the round in exchange for a +2 Dodge bonus to AC." (emphasis mine). So no off-hand attacks. If you want an AC bonus and off-hand attacks, take Two-Weapon Defense.

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
Re: Re: How many attacks for 3.5 Ranger?

Olgar Shiverstone said:

Note that Off-Hand Parry hasn't been updated for 3.5, but as it reads now: "... sacrifice all of your off-hand attacks for the round in exchange for a +2 Dodge bonus to AC." (emphasis mine). So no off-hand attacks. If you want an AC bonus and off-hand attacks, take Two-Weapon Defense.

In LG, Off-Hand Parry has been replaced by Two Weapon Defense.

On the one hand, I like always having an extra bonus to my AC as long as I'm fighting with 2 weapons. On the other hand, I wish it were still a Dodge Bonus instead of a shield bonus.

hong

WotC's bitch
If 3.5 rangers can make 3.5 attacks in 3.5 rounds, how many attacks can 3.0 rangers make before someone says they got the shaft?

Remove ads