How many classes do you prefer in a RPG?

How many classes?

Votes: 36 31.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 4.3%

Votes: 6 5.2%

Votes: 4 3.4%

Votes: 10 8.6%

Votes: 6 5.2%

Votes: 4 3.4%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 11 9.5%

Votes: 11 9.5%

• 15-20

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • 21-30

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 31-50

• 51-100

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • 101+

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Six is a good number. You need to cover the defender, the damage-disher, the sneak, the healer, the tank, and the gish. Fighter, monk, thief, cleric, mage, bard. Or some variation thereof. Everything else is just icing that can be roleplayed.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
None. I prefer skill-based RPGs because they allow for great character customization (eac skill is a variable). That said, Rolemaster and D&D3x are both hybrids of skill and class systems, and in those instances, a core set of five or six classes works well.

Delta

First Post
I'm big on the "7+/-2" rule. That's a quick psychological rule-of-thumb for how many options people can retain in their short-term memory to select from. My own interpretation is that 9 is beyond the capacity of lots of people; 7 is manageable by most people but takes some work; 5 is doable by everyone and simple and fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two

So I'd say no more than 5 for a game that's fun for everyone. I voted 4 because I'm a classic D&D junkie.

Drowbane

First Post
The number doesn't matter to me. As long as I can sit down and play with a "build" that fits my concept. Class or Point Buy, both have thier merits and flaws.

In current 3.5 (my group does gestalt) I can make just about anything I could want.

With Point Buy, I want as few flaws as possible. Every PB System I've played has been rather easy to break... so I avoid them currently. (I hear HERO 5th is good, but its a big damn book... not ready to absorb that much :p).

With Class based I prefer some flexibility. To this end, in 3e, I have tossed out "class skills" so that you can have a stealthy or knowledgable Fighter without wasting so many skill points. I think I might like 4e just for this reason (flexibility).

Last edited:

Jack Daniel said:
8 if you add Mystics from the Masters Set or the Rules Cyclopedia. :)
Yeah, so the "right" number would have been stopping at 7. ;)
Mystic? Headsman (also Masters Set)? I believe the proper phrase these days is "OMGWTFBBQ!?"

MarauderX

Explorer
Roadkill101 said:
None, Zero, Zilch, Zip.
I prefer games that utilize point-buy systems allowing characters to be built around skills and/or skill sets, like the Hero System (i.e. Champions) does.
I'm none too fond of level based progression either.

Same reasoning here too.

drothgery

First Post
I voted 6, as that's what would be in "Dave's 4e D&D" (cleric, fighter, noble, ranger, rogue, wizard), but I've never been too consistent on this. I thought the 3-class setup in True20 was compelling in theory, though not so much in actually reviewing the rules. SWSE got the setup right for Star Wars, I think (though I have a house rule proposal that nukes the Jedi class). But in 3.x D&D, I've always liked toying with WotC's new base classes.

So I guess I'd really say the 7 +/- 2 theory works for what should be available for any given game, but you might vary the actual classes allowed even from one D&D campaign to another.

Remove ads