D&D General How many D&D5e(2014) "Adventure Paths" have you played/finished?

How many of the "big/long" D&D 5e (2014) have you actually played and or finished?

Votes: 12 17.1%

Votes: 18 25.7%

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 14 20.0%

Votes: 5 7.1%

Votes: 2 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 1 1.4%

• 10+

Maenalis

Villager
I was wondering how many of the "big/long" D&D 5e (2014) have you actually played? And how many of those did you finish?

For my group it was only Tyranny of Dragons and Rime of the Frostmaiden (and the two starter sets), we finished all of them. We played a couple adventures from Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh, but not all of it and not as a campaign.

I have bought and read many more. I wanted to run or play Descent into Avernus, but the initial setup looked complicated and I just avoided it. I have read: Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, Storm King's Thunder, Candlekeep Mysteries and Journeys through the Radiant Citadel, but never tried to run any of those.

GrimCo

Adventurer
CoS only. And i modified it. I don't run adventures as is. I take bits and pieces from them and incorporate them in my own homebrew.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Just the Tyranny of Dragons, but I dont regularly play 5E. Im a big Paizo AP fan, and the WotC adventure seemed second rate. To be fair, I didnt have the GM material and only played in the game. My GM seemed a bit newish to the role. That likely played into the unpolished feeling of it all.

Reynard

Legend
Actually finished: 2.5. Avernus as GM, Out of the Abyss as a player and Dragon Heist as GM (that's the .5). I have started 4 others and mined significant portions of DotMM.

Stormonu

Legend
Ran Lost Mines of Phandelver to the end
Ran Ghosts up through The Final Enemy
Started playing Rime, but the DM dropped out*
Played most of Tomb of Annihilation, players quit the campaign in the 2nd to bottom level of the final tomb.
Aborted play of Descent into Avernus (DM tried to insert it half-way into the Tomb game from above)
Ran a one-shot using Curse of Strahd, using the castle
Currently co-DMing Tyranny of Dragons
Ran White Plume Mountain from Tales of the Yawning Portal

* I'm a bit salty about this one as I gave the DM my copy of the 1E gray box and the 2E boxed set of the North to help flesh out the campaign.

Voadam

Legend
I played in an online Curse of Strahd campaign but we did not finish it.

Most of my local DMs run their own campaigns, I am the only one who runs modules.

I have run two 5e adventure paths but they have been conversions of Pathfinder 1e APs.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Important question for this survey: Does Tyranny of Dragons count as one adventure or two?

I ran that one and Curse of Strahd in full, and I'm currently running Descent into Avernus.

I've fully played through Princes of the Apocalypse and am currently playing through Strixhaven. I also had a GM start Storm King's Thunder, but he only ran a couple of sessions before deciding to do a homebrew campaign instead.

I've also successfully run Lost Mines of Phandelver (twice) and Dragon of Icespire Peak, but I don't think those count for purposes of this survey. So that gives me a total of seven adventures if ToD counts as two (which I did because that's how it was when I ran it). If you count LMoP and DoIP, then my total is nine or ten.

Last edited:

Not a 5e player, but the results so far do seem to argue in favor of Colville's contention that longer story arcs/campaigns don't get finished very often and that shorter modules (or easily-dissected adventure paths) are more practical for actual use - at least for many people.

grimmgoose

Explorer
One - Curse of Strahd - but I basically rewrote the entire back half. I don't plan on running another WOTC adventure anytime soon. (I do like the anthology adventures, though)

Remove ads