D&D General How many D&D5e(2014) "Adventure Paths" have you played/finished?

How many of the "big/long" D&D 5e (2014) have you actually played and or finished?

Votes: 12 17.1%

Votes: 18 25.7%

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 14 20.0%

Votes: 5 7.1%

Votes: 2 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 1 1.4%

• 10+

Seven. All but two were ones I DM'ed and finished. I ran Out of the Abyss, Tyranny of Dragons, Tomb of Annihilation, Rime of the Frostmaiden, and Princes of the Apocalypse. Of the two I played in, I finished neither. Storm King's Thunder, the campaign did finish, but the table had gotten so big that it split and I became the DM for the second table. The other, a friend decided to DM Descent into Avernus, only for him to run out of steam about a third of the way through.

Lalato

Adventurer
With my main group...
Lost Mine of Phandelver
Waterdeep Dragon Heist
About half of Dungeon of the Mad Mage... not to the group's liking
About half of a conversion of the old Shackled City adventure path... DM burnt out on conversion
Currently playing War of the Burning Sky (EN Publishing)

Players in my group aren't exclusive and across the lot of them, we have played all of the WotC created stuff. That's why we switched to 3rd Party as it was new to everyone.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Not a 5e player, but the results so far do seem to argue in favor of Colville's contention that longer story arcs/campaigns don't get finished very often and that shorter modules (or easily-dissected adventure paths) are more practical for actual use - at least for many people.
Not necessarily, because we don't know how many of the low-number answers are playing homebrewed campaigns instead. And the homebrews could be either long arcs (comparable to book-length adventures) or shorter, episodic ones.

I should highlight that in my own case (7 total adventures, counting ToD as 2), only one adventure was actually abandoned, and that was because the GM decided he preferred to run a homebrew adventure instead. Of the ones I have not finished, it's because they are currently ongoing.

Last edited:

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Lost Mines: DM'd, finished
ToD - Hoard: DM'd, finished
ToD - Rise: DM'd, finished
DiA: scavenged for homebrew climax.

I called it 2, because I wasn't sure if Lost Mines counted or not. And I didn't count Descent Into Aveernus at all, since I just scavenged it for pieces.

Hussar

Legend
As a player:
Storm King's Thunder,
Hoard of the Dragon Queen,

As a DM:
Candlekeep Mysteries,
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist,

Played/DM'd but DNF:
Curse of Strahd (always sad about that one, loved that campaign)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Currently DMing:
Phandelver and Below

Currently Playing:
Avernus.

Remove ads