D&D 5E How Many Dragon Fights Have You Had in D&D 5e?

Zardnaar

Legend
The ones we have fought.

1. Green Draong on LMoP

2. White Dragon in HotDQ

3. Adult black dragon lairing in a flooded swamp lair with bbrackish water and a tribe of kobolds.

4. A pair of young blue dragons in an aerial encounter on a skyship

5. "Ra" an adult blue Dragon in a ruined neo Egyptian town with various evil NPCs using it as a lair

6. Another Adult blue Dragon in the desert who like using illusions.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The last dragon was a blue dragon, that used goblins to work in a sort of excavation site. The PCs killed the goblin foreman and so the dragon attacked. The battle took place down in the excavation site around a lot of goblin huts. Many goblins fought as well but were only really cannonfodder as they posed no threat to the PCs (I used the mob rules in DMG). At one point, the dragon burrowed into the ground and the next round burst through the side of a wall on the plateau behind them, and released its lightning breath on all the PCs, as they had just positioned themselves in a straight line. TPK.

Many. Most memorable was against Imryth at the end of Storm Giant's Thunder. She used her burrow ability to it's fullest and tried to take us out one-by-one as various other monster guardians attacked from different locations. Her breath weapon was fearsome, too. Like many dragons, she died when she decided to not hit-and-run the party and stuck around a bit too long. Getting her treasure was an ordeal, but worth it. Thank goodness for Conjure Elemental!

I'm particularly interested in tactics I can use with burrowing as my dragon has that ability as well. I feel like it's great because the dragon can't be targeted, but I'm going to screw something up and put the dragon in the position of getting suddenly piled on. Any advice?

Maialideth

Explorer
I'm particularly interested in tactics I can use with burrowing as my dragon has that ability as well. I feel like it's great because the dragon can't be targeted, but I'm going to screw something up and put the dragon in the position of getting suddenly piled on. Any advice?

Use the Disengage action to burrow then move it to a good position for breath then move out of the ground and fly up (remember you can use different movement types in the same round) and unleash the breath.

D

dco

Adult white dragon, snow or ice was a difficult terrain and the walls of ice and the ice fog were a problem for the team. Very difficult fight if the dragon stays mobile, he can use the ice wall for protection, or to catch someone between the walls of the cave and the wall, the fog with 1/2 movement was nasty because without a perception roll the DM didn't let us attack at range. The dragon focused his attacks on range attackers and healers, the legendary saves are not good for the wizard.

Their Legendary Wing Attack allows a Dragon to attempt to knock nearby foes down and then fly up to half their flying speed away. They're still subject to AoO but those who are prone do it at Disadvantage. Keeps them out of multi-attack danger from non-flying opponents until they decide to come back down. If they stay just out of melee range of the ground they can fly to another point and burrow or whatever.

hejtmane

Explorer
dragon encounters first fight in a cave the totem barbarian took zero damage from the dragon breath was quite funny, everyone else let's say it was sketchy and they barely lived while except the totem barbarian he was laughing at the other guys.

One was a lower cr clockwork dragon from tomb of beast

Third was a flying dragon in the open they had to retreat to the trees or most likely die from dragon breath strafes.

One they negotiated a trade of magical items and hold for their lives.

One other tomb of beast dragon if I remember correctly they went a different direction on the dungeon

dave2008

Legend
dragon encounters first fight in a cave the totem barbarian took zero damage from the dragon breath was quite funny, everyone else let's say it was sketchy and they barely lived while except the totem barbarian he was laughing at the other guys.

I don't understand this, wouldn't the barbarian still take 1/4 quarter damage if it made the save? Resistance doesn't eliminate damage, just reduces it in half. If you make the save your taking half damage from the attack and the bear totem gives you 1/2 of that for 1/4 of non-save damage.

hejtmane

Explorer
I don't understand this, wouldn't the barbarian still take 1/4 quarter damage if it made the save? Resistance doesn't eliminate damage, just reduces it in half. If you make the save your taking half damage from the attack and the bear totem gives you 1/2 of that for 1/4 of non-save damage.
Saving throw 1/2 damage rage another half damage then Goliath Stone endurance was enough with a high roll to chew up the rest

Remove ads