D&D 5E How Many Dragon Fights Have You Had in D&D 5e?

Lancelot

Adventurer
About a dozen dragon fights in 5e, but my group plays frequently (1.5 sessions per week, averaging 5 hours each). To answer your questions...

Circumstances vary, but I've listed some examples below. The fight is always tough, because I play most dragons as smart. They take out weakened characters first, the go for maximal area coverage with their breath weapons, they take to the air if the party is relying on melee damage, they will coup de grace a fallen opponent if he/she has "got up" after being dropped at least once (e.g. they were healed, or have some form of regeneration).

The single most feared tactic I use is the Legendary action beatdown. The dragon observes the first round of combat, and sees who is going "last" in the turn. Let's call that person PC#4. On its second turn (and thereafter), the dragon flies next to that person and drops a full claw/claw/bite attack. It is now PC#1's initiative. They take their turn. Unless the dragon is somehow pushed away or otherwise inconvenienced, it uses a legendary action at the end of PC#1's turn to bite PC#4. And the same at the end of PC#2's turn. And the same at the end of PC#3's turn. By the time PC#4's turn starts, they will have weathered 4 bite attacks and 2 claw attacks. That's usually a problem for any character, especially the primary party healer.

Other useful tactics include full attack on a melee PC acting late in the initiative order, then Legendary action to bite on PC#1's turn, then Legendary action to wing blast and move out of range on PC#2's turn. Melee PC#4 has just taken a bunch of damage and now cannot get close enough to retaliate. For breath weapons, the dragon will obviously target conscious foes... but I never hesitate to include unconscious PCs in the area if I can. That extra death box (from taking damage while unconscious) can add a lot of tension.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, dragons are the leading source of character deaths in our group. I wouldn't play them like this if I was DMing for kids. But here's the deal: my players are experienced, they're okay with high casualty rates, and they have full knowledge that dragons are going to be their deadliest foes. In most cases, they don't need to engage them - it's their choice, because they know the rewards. They also relish the sense of excitement knowing that a dragon will always represent the ultimate challenge.

On to the Adventure Path examples...

1) The white dragon at the end of HotDQ was a TPK. The telling factors were lair actions, legendary actions, and enough room to move around and take flight. This is always a problem for parties. If the dragon can make full use of its movement (even if it provokes a single attack when moving away), it wrecks certain character classes: barbarians, monks, paladins, some fighters, some clerics, etc. Many of these classes rely on melee damage. In this case, I was taking full advantage of the old "full attack, legendary bite, legendary wing blast and move back out of melee range" strategy.

2) Iymrith, at the end of SKT, was a TPK... but it was a near thing. The party was buffed up with giant potions and had four storm giant allies... but I was playing Iymrith absolutely optimally. A DC 23 breath weapon was virtually an auto-fail for the PCs, which means they were losing 90HP every breath (and I was lining the breath to get maximal coverage). The two party healers were priorities, and they were rather low on spells anyway after dealing with a horde of the dragon's servants (gargoyles and suchlike) earlier. The beauty of the breath weapon is around action economy. If the dragon can drop 2 PCs in a single action, the surviving PCs usually have to burn their actions on healing to get their buddies back into the fray. This ruins the entire party's round. This happened a couple times in a row, and the group simply ran out of gas. One character was particularly annoying in that he had a regenerative power (regain HP at start of turn if still alive), so Iymrith dropped next to him and knocked him unconscious with the ol' claw/claw/bite. On PC#1's turn, the dragon dropped a legendary bite on the fallen PC#3 (auto-crit; 2 death boxes)... and then finished him off on PC#2's turn. No regeneration.

3) The adult red dragon in Wyrmtooth Mine (ToA) was a TPK. Usual tactics, although this one was a little more cinematic. The party was riding an out-of-control mine cart. When they saw the dragon up ahead, they intentionally jumped the tracks and slammed the cart into its head. Their problem, however, was that they had already burned a bunch of resources fighting kobolds earlier in the mine. Kobolds, you say? What challenge could they possibly be? The issue was that they had no area-effect spells in the party, and there were dozens of the little guys. Even higher-level adventurers need to worry about accumulated damage, thanks to kobold pack tactics (advantage on attacks if adjacent ally). Also, the kobold fight created enough racket that the dragon was aware of intrusion in it's lair and was never going to give the party an hour to short rest. So, they only had a few rounds to burn healing spell slots (rather than recover HP via hit dice) before it was all on with the dragon.

4) The dragon turtle in PotA was not a TPK. In fact, it was a huge disappointment. It lost initiative and received a hypnotic pattern. This incapacitated it. The party moved forward and readied actions to all strike at the same moment on the incapacitated beast. A huge round of auto-crits ensued, and the beast was dead a round later. Shame. Legendary Resistance is a game-changer, and unfortunately dragon turtles don't have it.

5) ...but the red dragon that showed up later in PotA made up for it. It wasn't a TPK, but the party had to flee. The single most dangerous PC in the group was a bear totem barbarian, who handled most encounters by tanking for the party. Thanks to healing support and 1/2 damage from all non-psychic, he could take literally hundreds of HP's of damage before dropping. So... the dragon simply refused to engage. The barbarian raged in the first round; the dragon breathed on every other PC, then simply flew away. The barbarian took no damage and wasn't in range to attack - his rage ended the next round (and note: I don't permit shenanigans such as allowing the barbarian or his allies to damage himself for a few points to keep his rage going). The dragon flew back and wrecked the party for a round. The barbarian burned another rage... and the dragon retreated again. The players rapidly figured out that they couldn't rely on the barbarian to soak, and decided discretion was the better part of valor. Wise choice.

ccs

41st lv DM
I've had 3 to date.

#1: HotDQ, player. My best 5e dragon fight to date.
It was against the blue dragon in Greenfield. Some of us were up on the battlements of the keep helping reign fire down on a group of hobgoblins(?) keeping them pinned in place.
To disrupt us, the blue dragon started making strafing runs.
On one round, when it's breath weapon didn't recharge, the DM decided to have it come in to melee the character right next to me (our monk iirc) & dropped him to 0hp.
As it went fly away I said screw it & declared I was taking my op attack. This was almost certainly going to be pointless as the thing was as-yet unharmed. And I was currently shape-changed into a mastiff.
Roll to hit: Crit! Total damage: 4
And then somebody (not me) pointed out that "Hey, wouldn't the dragon need to make that save {Str, DC11} vs being knocked prone?" DM said something along the lines of "Huh, I guess so" and promptly rolled a 2 on the D20. Well, as it wasn't an Ancient Blue....
The dragon was knocked prone! The DM rolled a d3 to see where it would land - 1-2: left (ground outside the wall), 3-4: on the parapet, 5+: right (ground inside the wall). It fell to the left. Outside the wall.
The DM gave me a reflex save to let go of the tail before I'd get drug over the parapet myself.

So In-game what you saw was a blue dragon swoop in, savage this guy manning a parapet, & as it's flying away a mastiff chases it down latching onto it's tail at the last moment causing the beast to lose control & crash into the ground at the base of the wall. In full view of the rest of the enemy troops.

In the next round the dragon picks itself up, flies away & quits the battle!
Apparently as scripted all we had to do to was x damage or land a crit to drive the dragon away.
And as the dragon was defeated in such a spectacularly humiliating way the DM ruled that that was enough to break the moral of the remaining dragon cult forces.
They beat a hasty retreat & we/the town took care of our wounded and dead.
Treasure gained: Nothing
Next session we'd track the cult back to their lair.
Thi game fizzled out before we ever fought another dragon, let alone Tiamat.

-------------------------------------------------------
#2 Rahasia, DM
I ran the group through a 5e conversion of this classic module. and by conversion I mean I simply opened the 5e MM & used the new stat blocks....
Anyways, there's a teleportation maze in the lower lv where one of the paths leads characters to an arena where assorted creatures are summoned based on wich entry was used. One of the possible results is a green dragon. As this module was written for 1980's Basic that was an 8hd dragon. Looks like a 7hd Green Dragon Wyrmling to me....
It wasn't a terribly hard or interesting fight. The arena is just a big open floor space, so no real terrain. 1/2 the party had ranged attacks. NONE of the party stood near enough each other to allow me to catch more than one of them when I could use the breath weapon. The dragons best option was to circle until it could breath as that cut out 1/2 the party attacking it. Nobody failed their save vs its 2 poison breath attacks.
And at only AC17 & 38 HP the fight only lasted 5 or 6 rounds.
Treasure: None

-------------------------------------------------------
#3 Storm Kings, player
Upon entering the temple where the All-Father oracle is located we had to fight our way through a bunch of barbarians & their small white dragon.
This fight was really boring. They charged us. The warlock dropped a Hunger of Hadar on most of them. My ranger & his griffon mount met the dragon head on & nearly took it down single-handedly. On the 3rd round an attack missed leaving the dragon with single digit HPs. Our other ranger split his bow attacks between the barbarians & the dragon. One arrow later....
The rest of the fight was pretty much a few rounds of mopping up the barbarians.
Treasure: ? I don't recall us getting anything from the dragon itself. But I walked away with some kind of magic fire opal. And we cut off its head as a trophy - wich has proven useful in impressing the giants later on (clearly they didn't realize how weak this dragon was....)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Thanks for the stories, all, and keep 'em coming. I'm just about ready to start my session, so I'll have to give out XP later to all who contributed. Wish me luck. The players are already tweeting in anticipation!

Capture.PNG

Tallifer

Hero
I like dragons, but I have always felt the iconic dragons should be terrifying and almost unkillable like Smaug. Therefore, when my players meet dragons they are inevitably quirky dragons with some draconic powers and tricks, but not the full monty. Not yet, anyways. <winks>

3 headed Sand-dragon.jpg

clover_ dragon.jpog.png

ice dragon 2.jpg

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My Tiamat group fought the Young White in the sky castle (not much to tell; our previous DM had to leave half-way through the building, and the other players wanted to get done quickly so I could run Book Two unencumbered.) Best moment was when it clung to the ceiling (but rolled a '2' for Stealth) and the Wizard cast Shatter on the ceiling where it had a grip. It took spell damage and falling damage. It tried to flee but got smacked down in the exit.

Still Tiamat, and running the campaign as my own: Arauthator, Ancient White (when I got done working him up) in his lair. Get airborne ASAP and use Reach attacks, especially against melee-loving PCs. Remember the extra Lair Actions, and be ready to flee vigorously when low on HP.

My Tiamat campaign came to a sudden stop because real life get in my way, and nobody else wanted to take over as DM. We were in the Green's lair, and had fought everybody / everything else - BUT HIM. The last week I was there, the group decided to finish the session by taking a long rest. On this unsatisfying cliffhanger our story abruptly en

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Thanks for the stories, all, and keep 'em coming. I'm just about ready to start my session, so I'll have to give out XP later to all who contributed. Wish me luck. The players are already tweeting in anticipation!

View attachment 94678

TPK. One PC, the druid, even crawled into the grave he dug with move earth in the very first scene before dying. On the upside, four out of 5 PCs earned their way into Valhalla!

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
From D&D 5e only, seven.

The first was a young Blue Dragon. Part of the Oathbreaker Paladin's backstory was he had been a trusted advisor of the nobleman who owned the castle, but the dragon had seized the castle for itself, and the paladin was trying to become strong enough to return, kill it, and take control of the castle himself.
In our combat encounter against the blue dragon (which took place in the castle courtyard) most everyone but my sorcerer, the Eldritch Knight, and the Paladin got hit with dragon fear. The paladin spammed his favorite spell Thunderous Smite, the Eldritch Knight was subject to what he later referred to as "being whack-a-moled by dragon-claws", and I blasted it with fireball.
I landed the killing blow in that fight, after the dragon had partially charbroiled the Eldritch Knight with its lightning breath.

The second was against the dragon from Lost Mines of Phandelver.
Unfortunately for the DM, we were rolling like the dice were loaded or something that night, and massacred the green dragon.
In. A. Single. Round.
At the end of the night, the DM announced (only partly in jest) that we were terrible people who did horrible things to his poor, helpless little monsters . . .

The third was against an Ancient Void Dragon from Tome of Beasts. It took place in this enormous tomb complex within which was buried a once-powerful necromancer wizard (I suspect the wizard had been a former PC of the DM back in pathfinder).
The guy playing the War Cleric was a big Magic the Gathering fan, and took one look at the illustration the DM showed us of the void dragon before actually giving out a high-pitched scream.
His character then promptly fled, while the player sat there muttering "He's [the DM] finally sent Nicol Bolas to kill us!".
We all got hit by the void dragon's aura of madness, everyone failed the save, and we fled, gibbering hysterically at each other.
In a humorous turn of events, the Eldritch Knight was unable to find the escape chute out of the room, and was reduced to running from one side of the room to the other.
The Void Dragon found this deeply amusing, and let him live.

The fourth (and easily the most epic) was against an Adult Red Dracolich inside this island temple devoted to both Orcus and Olhydra.
The two cults that lived on the island had merged together into this "Death-Storm" Cult, and after myself and the warlock humiliated the high priest by continually counterspelling him, the high priest got fed up and awakened what we had thought was the altar, but which turned out to be the dragon's crown of horns.
The Oathbreaker Paladin ran up and Blinding Smited the high priest, killing him.
The the Dracolich arose and breathed fire on most everyone. The Ranger (who was already making death saves after getting bonked on the head by the high priest) was reduced to dust, and Eldritch Knight failed his save too.
We ran for the exit, only to turn around and realize that the Eldritch Knight was refusing to flee.
Incredibly, even as his body was melting like wax, the Eldritch Knight rushed the Dracolich and pushed it into an indestructible magic mirror, before perishing from his injuries.
Thanks to the Warlock's Arcana check much earlier in the day, we all knew that the mirror was actually a portal to the Ethereal Plane.
The implication was that we had destroyed the cult and forever banished the Dracolich to the phantom zone, but at the cost of two teammates being permanently killed.
For their heroic actions, our party buried their remains inside the now-uninhabited island temple with full honors (along with leaving behind both the mirror and half the remaining treasure as tribute to their sacrifice), and the gods personally welcomed the Eldritch Knight into the halls of Ysgard.
I'd love to say they welcomed the Ranger too, but he had already forfeited his soul to a demon queen of werewolves.

The fifth was an adult Black shadow dragon. We encountered it twice.
The first time was during a Derro invasion of Waterdeep. The "mad gnomes/dwarves" were trying to blot out the sun with this Darkness-inducing High Magic device. I destroyed the device, the Derro were driven back, and the shadow dragon fled.
We next encountered the shadow dragon a few days later outside the city. The warlock was able to kill the shadow dragon with either a lightning bolt or a witch bolt (can't remember if lightning bolt is on the Warlock spell list).

The sixth dragon was an Ancient White Dragon inside its ice-covered lair. I blew its guts out with animate objects while the two assassin rogues injected the dragon woth needles AKA punched it full of holes with their rapiers and daggers.

MY OWN HOME CAMPAIGN (BASED ON DARK SUN)
My dad's four characters needed to collect volcanic ash to fertilize the soil around their village, so as to be able to grow crops next year and keep their friends and family from starving to death.
The spirits of the volcano agreed to this request, but first insisted that my dad's characters entertain them in combat.
Combat took place inside the Volcano, with the stones, magma, smoke, and flames all around them actually being the spectators.
The first contestants were a squad of Azer, the second a group of salamanders, and the final match was against a Young Red Dragon.
The dragon blew fire at everyone, bringing the Wizard to 0 and giving him a permanent scar across his entire face.
The Arcane Trickster shot the dragon in the throat, killing it.

Last edited:

Two, both with the green dragon from LMoP. Fight 1, disastrous. Party Druid 1hp from insta-death, Ranger nicked a trinket, they ran away.
Fight 2, replaced the 2 reds from the end of When a Star Falls conversion with the same dragon hunting for his trinket. EPIC. Druid cast Jump on the Barbarian who critted and took him out. Ranger 1 death save from dying, Druid on 1 hp, Barbarian on about 5.

Oh, no, 3. Clockwork dragon deep in an ice cave. Took them all (now 4) out bar the Barbarian who again critted and described the most amazing death, none of which was witnessed by the others who were on death saves and didn’t believe him when they came to.

I think it was this success that led him to take on a tarrasque. He got eaten. And as he had the party’s bag of holding, containing pretty much ALL their wealth (and a Deck of Many Things they hadn’t identified yet), that was them in the poorhouse again!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I like dragons, but I have always felt the iconic dragons should be terrifying and almost unkillable like Smaug. Therefore, when my players meet dragons they are inevitably quirky dragons with some draconic powers and tricks, but not the full monty. Not yet, anyways. <winks>

I'm of a similar mind which is why I don't typically bother with dragons less than Adult age. A dragon is an amalgam of every predator our tree-dwelling ancestors feared. It's a serious injustice in my view to make them anything less than terrifying and squanders the potential emotional impact of the deeply rooted, primal fears on which the dragon is based.

Remove ads