• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many encounters per day?

Final Attack

First Post
I'm unable to find the section in the DMG that suggests how many encounters are good for a party per day?

Also I keep hearing mention of 'leveling up' creatures. How is this done to a standard creature and where is it in the DMG?

Cheers

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
My players were able to handle 8 encounters over two game sessions with no "extended rest" to recharge their healing surges and daily powers. It was a 1st level party. One of these encounters was very challenging, two were moderately tough, three were 1st level encounters, and two were hazzard/trap/puzzle oriented.

However, at the end of the last encounter, all of their healing surges were exhausted. It was a very close call at the end.

The party included a Fighter, Cleric, Paladin and a Rogue. One session had an extra character, a Wizard. The second session had no Wizard but an extra fighter instead.

oldbone

First Post
8 encounters in one day?

so... at that rate, these heroes would level every 1.5 days of game time?

So, demi-gods in a month?

Wow! :eek:

Nadaka

First Post
8 encounters in one day?

so... at that rate, these heroes would level every 1.5 days of game time?

So, demi-gods in a month?

Wow! :eek:

Only if they grind.

There is nothing that says you can't slow things down by inserting six month sea voyages or a couple years where their skills of "kill stuff and take loots" are not required.

keterys

First Post
I had a 3e group that hit 20th in a month, several years ago. Of course, that game was designed as a 'speed' game with penalties for every day that passed and an escalating invasion going on.

spinmd

Fishy DM
Also I keep hearing mention of 'leveling up' creatures. How is this done to a standard creature and where is it in the DMG?

Leveling up is found on page 174 of the DMG.

For # of encounters, it depends on if they are easy, standard, or hard encounters. IME, my PCs can go through around 5 standard encounters before they are resource depleted.

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Leveling up is found on page 174 of the DMG.

For # of encounters, it depends on if they are easy, standard, or hard encounters. IME, my PCs can go through around 5 standard encounters before they are resource depleted.

Related Question: Out of the 8 - 10 encounters needed to gain a level, how many of those is a "hard" encounter worth? how many are an "easy" encounter worth?

J from Three Haligonians

Starbuck_II

First Post
Related Question: Out of the 8 - 10 encounters needed to gain a level, how many of those is a "hard" encounter worth? how many are an "easy" encounter worth?

J from Three Haligonians
It took my party of 4 I DMed: 12 Encounter to level up.
7 encounters + the 5 in Kobold Hall.

2 Hard ones and 3 Hard in kobold Hall (WyrmPriest, Dragon, and Skull Skull) were tough battles it seemed.
So 5 Hard, 4 meduim, and 3 easy I'd say.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads