• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Extra Monsters Can You Summon?

koesherbacon

First Post
Say you're a 4th level sorcerer with the Abyssal Bloodline and have a +3 to Cha. You also have the feat "Superior Summoning", which allows you to summon one extra creature whenever you summon more than one. You also have "Genie Caller" trait. (Also has "Spell Focus -- Conjuration", and "Augment Summoning", which are the pre-reqs for Superior Summoning.)

You're going to cast Summon Monster II, but instead of summoning 1 monster from the SM2 list, you decide to summon multiple monsters from SM1.

How many monsters do you summon when you do this?

How about when you use the daily +2 to CL for Summoning from the Genie Caller trait?

Are there any other feats that would increase the number of creatures that can be summoned? What about magic items?

I tried searching for this on Google, but the keywords are all too similar to yield any good results.

Sorry for all the questions, normally I tend to be the kind of DM to shy away from summoning my own monsters, since combat can take a like time anyway, and I don't want to be The Litterbug.

For this adventure, I thik that having an enemy use summoning magic will greatly enhance the combat when it breaks out, so I really need to konw how many creatures he can summon all at once. Basically, the PCs are going to encounter and engage him, thinking he's alone. 2 rounds later, there will be a boatload of monsters he's summoned onto the battlefield with Extend Spell in order to make his escape while the PCs are dealing with his monsters.

Any input you can provide will be great! If you need some more information to give me an accurate idea about how many creatures can be summoned all at once, I'd be happy to provide it. I just don't know other info might help.

Thanks a lot!

koesherbacon

First Post
OMG, I'm an idiot. I didn't read the text for all the Summon Monster spells carefully enough and didn't see the section at the bottom where it says how many you get.

Looks like you get 1d3 for SM 1 level lower than the spell's own. 1d4+1 for 2 or more levels lower than the spell's.

Sorry about that, I just missed that section in the SM text.

Remove ads