How many feats are there?

If you're the DM? As many as you want there to be. If you're not the DM? As many as the DM will allow.

A list of every feat, ever? From which sources? For which edition?

ksbsnowowl

Explorer
WotC used to have a master feat list for all of 3rd edition. I have no idea if it is still up on their site or archives, however.

There is a site or two which list all the third edition feats... but it isn't technically legal, and I don't know how much it would be frowned upon to mention it by name here...

Tuzenbach

First Post
Interesting. You mean to tell me that a certain feat from one edition wouldn't necessarily have been carried over into subsequent editions?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I could point to Pathfinder feats on d20pfsrd, however you'd need to consider that some feats in Pathfinder were changed (improved/nerfed) from 3x, like Power Attack for example, but aside the variations the majority are the same. Plus have you considered 3PP created feats - if you're talking a master list, its probably longer than you think (of course most 3PP feats aren't made for every edition.)

ksbsnowowl

Explorer
Interesting. You mean to tell me that a certain feat from one edition wouldn't necessarily have been carried over into subsequent editions?
How could they be? The editions are built around different mechanical systems.

Take Power Attack, a feat which functions off of Base Attack Bonus. Now try to port it over to 5th edition... which doesn't have Base Attack Bonus.

Tuzenbach

First Post
How could they be? The editions are built around different mechanical systems.

Take Power Attack, a feat which functions off of Base Attack Bonus. Now try to port it over to 5th edition... which doesn't have Base Attack Bonus.

See, I think this is part of the problem. Assuming I wanted to use feats, I'd have to spend 4-6 weeks reading and researching all feats from all editions. Doesn't the inclusion of feats just add at least a month to the character creation process? So absolutely confusing...... LoL, a person nowadays needs to be a CPA to play D&D......

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
See, I think this is part of the problem. Assuming I wanted to use feats, I'd have to spend 4-6 weeks reading and researching all feats from all editions. Doesn't the inclusion of feats just add at least a month to the character creation process? So absolutely confusing...... LoL, a person nowadays needs to be a CPA to play D&D......

Or just more reasonable and setting up limitations on what is allowed for a given game. I usually run themed games, often running 3PP material, and then only allow Core books feats, available 3PP feats, and perhaps one or more other books of feats. I never run a free-for-all, where every feat in the game is available. But you do require some system mastery to run any game. Better yet, for the short term run an adventure with pregenerated characters so that classes and feats are already defined.

You still haven't stated which edition of the game you're talking about. We could be more help with more specifics.

Remove ads