How many feats are there?

Tuzenbach

First Post
You still haven't stated which edition of the game you're talking about. We could be more help with more specifics.

To tell you the truth, I really don't know. I got the core 3.0 books when they came out, but never learned all the rules. My ADD and the extraordinarily distracting graphics and colors made it darned-near impossible for me to learn the rules. When I thought I was making a little progress, 3.5 came out and I just gave up.

I had been assuming feats created in the last 15 years were all-inclusive and applicable to all editions. But from what you guys are saying, they are not. I've got to tell you honestly, this does not inspire me to run out and learn the rules for 3 separate D&D editions. It *does*, however, inspire me to put together a $40 million offer and present it to Hasbro. If I can acquire all things D&D, I can get rid of about 80% of the rules and make it friendly for 10x the amount of people who currently play (or attempt to play!) D&D.

Ask me again "what edition are you referring to?" and I'll in turn ask you "which is the best D&D edition to offer feats?". Then you'll merely be directing me towards copious amounts of rules which I'm to unpleasantly learn (and then pass judgement upon!!!) in an attempt to find out what best meets my own personal definition of "fun" from D&D in the last 15 years. Yeah, not my idea of "fun".

Again, I'd rather take the whole thing over and put an axe through the vast majority of the rules the game has created over the past couple of decades.

FWIW, I was six classes away from getting a BS in Accounting. Ritalin made this possible. But there comes a certain point where a person sits up and asks themselves, "Jeez, is learning ALL THIS STUFF really worth it? Especially when ALL THIS STUFF will be made obsolete in merely a handful of years?" ..... the answer was, and still is, a resounding "No"........

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I only play one version of D&D currently, and that's Pathfinder, but even when I played other editions, I only played one edition at a time. I see no reason why anyone needs nor wants to learn more than one edition at the same time, ever. As far as becoming obsolete, RPGs aren't computers, if you play AD&D 1e its not obsolete, just because its no longer published means absolutely nothing. If you were happy with 3.0, why does the release of 3.5 mean anything at all - just don't play the next version, play what you're comfortable with. Let's put it this way, I was still playing AD&D 2e five years into the release of 3x, I never saw 3.0 at all until well after 3.5 was released. I didn't start playing 3.5 until 2 years before it was no longer published. I have no need to stay current with any rules set. The only reason I jumped on to Pathfinder at its beginning is that I wanted to become a third party publisher with my own published setting, and at the time Paizo hadn't released an oriental game, so I created the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG).

Though I could have released it as a 3.5 product, I didn't want to compete with OA Rokugan 3x, I wanted to be the only setting within a given theme for a given edition - I wanted to be first. It was too late to be first in 3x, so Pathfinder was the perfect fit. Paizo eventually released the Jade Regent Adventure Path, which Paizo hired me to write the City of Kasai gazetteer and do the original hand-drawn map for the City of Kasai in The Empty Throne module of the Jade Regent AP - so my efforts to be first actually got me work as a contributing author for Paizo Publishing.

At this point in time, for example, I see no reason to ever look at 5e, I don't need nor want it. It might be a better game, but I don't really care, my game plays just fine. I may look at it someday, but that might not be for years and years to come. A new release of anything (RPGs or otherwise) does not compel to buy just because - I have to actually need it to move forward with any purchase.

Last edited:

ksbsnowowl

Explorer
Fifth Edition is a much simpler version of D&D. It does allow an option for expanding the game via feats (if your group wants to), but the core mechanics don't have feats. It's new, is getting good reviews, and will probably be the "current" game for 6 more years or so.

Although I'm a 3rd edition guy, I've played two sessions of 5e, and it was fun.

It sounds like 5th edition is what would work best for you.

Or you could become a grognard. Pick an edition, learn it, and then continue playing that, regardless of if a new edition comes out or not. I've been playing and DM'ing Third Edition since 2000. Nothing has forced me to abandon it and learn a new system.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I had been assuming feats created in the last 15 years were all-inclusive and applicable to all editions. But from what you guys are saying, they are not.

No, they're all different games.

I've got to tell you honestly, this does not inspire me to run out and learn the rules for 3 separate D&D editions.

Well, I wouldn't do that! Run out and learn the rules for *one* D&D edition!

Ask me again "what edition are you referring to?" and I'll in turn ask you "which is the best D&D edition to offer feats?".

If your measure of "best" is "most feats", then your edition is 3.5. or Pathfinder, if the brand name isn't important to you.

Again, I'd rather take the whole thing over and put an axe through the vast majority of the rules the game has created over the past couple of decades.

The latest version, D&D 5th Edition, has already done that for you. Just grab that one and ignore the rest!

FWIW, I was six classes away from getting a BS in Accounting. Ritalin made this possible. But there comes a certain point where a person sits up and asks themselves, "Jeez, is learning ALL THIS STUFF really worth it? Especially when ALL THIS STUFF will be made obsolete in merely a handful of years?" ..... the answer was, and still is, a resounding "No"........

Well, OK. We're not trying to sell you second hand copies of the game or anything. If you don't want to play it, don't play it. :)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
"Many." There are many feats.

(I use the Sesame Street xkcd counting system)

one_two.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1478?!

And that's just from ONE website: ........ http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/feats-db

Seriously, has anyone calculated the amount of time added to character creation since the inclusion of feats? THIS is why I haven't created a character since late, late 2E........

That's for Pathfinder.

5E just has a couple of dozen feats.

They are different games.

No, nobody has sat down and calculated the amount of time added to character creation since the addition of feats.

Remove ads