Pathfinder 1E How many GMs use Divine Channeling to revive unconscious opponents?

Wicht

Hero
This came up on facebook actually, with someone wanting to know why Selective Channeling was useful for a Cleric.

I pointed out that as a GM I have, at times, allowed Divine Channeling to bring unconscious foes around, much to the chagrin of the players who thought the fight was over. But, after all, by the book, a living foe is not really dead until their hp falls below a negative equal to their Constitution score, and a foe at -1 is very much still alive, and positive energy channeling heals everyone in range. It only seems fair.

Normally such fights are shortlived as the PCs knock the foes back into submission, and my players have gotten the hint to make sure foes are dead or tied up before healing begins, but still, there it is, and sometimes it has provided an amusing diversion in-game.

So anyway, I was wondering if I was the only one who did this, or do other GMs also not truly consider a foe dead until they are, well, actually killed or enough time has passed for them to bleed out.

Tovec

Explorer
In combat, if the enemy is in range and gets healed by positive energy.. then they get healed by positive energy.

After combat, downtime when everyone is milling around... then I assume the PCs have either curbstomped the enemy dead, or are in some way making sure to heal only the friends (keep downed enemies out of the range).

But yeah, if they're in the area, and not CON score in negative HP.. then they're getting healed. Don't like it? Don't use the ability.

EDIT:
Do the PCs complain if they get hit by the wizard's fireball if they're in the area for that too?

Kinak

First Post
My cleric player is really good about doublechecking, so this hasn't come up as a surprise in a very long time. But, yes, I will cheerfully heal enemies if he doesn't have enough Selective Channel.

Cheers!
Kinak

Vegepygmy

First Post
So anyway, I was wondering if I was the only one who did this, or do other GMs also not truly consider a foe dead until they are, well, actually killed or enough time has passed for them to bleed out.
We enforce the RAW, though I personally think it's quite lame, and all clerics should be able to selectively target when channeling.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've had the foes get healed this way but they rarely attack. I usually have them get up and run away.

Same here. But if the PCs are using channeling to heal from some wound in a fight, chances are they're doing it as a desperation measure during the fight when the opponent hasn't been utterly beaten yet. Great to have him spring back feeling a bit rejuvenated because of choosing healing tools injudiciously.

Remove ads