D&D General How many groups of players have you played with, face to face?

Thomas Shey

Legend
It kind of depends on how you count things like game clubs, or the rather large extended play group I was involved with in my late 20's and early 30's; the latter was a group of loosely connected players and GMs that consisted of probably, oh, 20-25 people who played in various games the group did at the time (we also gamed two days a week at the time). Was that one "group"?

They probably should, or instead of trying to run a campaign, just go for one-shots. Heck, that group couldn't even get through the Sunless Citadel, which is a short adventure! They're all good friends, but I'm much happier DMing for my current groups.

Maybe they should play Four Against Darkness, Mage Knight or Gloomheavean instead?

Bupp

Adventurer
I was a player in three different groups while in junior high. (1E)
DMed two groups while in high school. (1E)
Dmed three different groups while in the Army (2E)
After the Army, thru 3E and 4E, I didn't play, but bought and read the new editions.
Started back with 5E, have DMed 3 different groups, and am currently a player in another group.
So 12 total.

houser2112

Explorer
I started playing in 1989 with 2E, and have played in 7 groups playing 2E, 3.0, 3.5, d20 Modern, PF1, and 5E.

The latest group I'm still playing with, and I joined through a Gamers Seeking Gamers post on this very site. This is the first group I've ever played in where I didn't have any personal connection to any of the other players prior to joining. When I joined them, they were playing PF1. When 5E came out, they wanted to test it, but I didn't really care for the comparatively light rules, and sat out. When they said they were going forward with 5E, I jumped back in, since good groups are hard to find and I'd rather play a sytem I don't like as much than roll the dice trying to find a good group playing what I want. When I had to move out of western NY to NC, I continued to play, with them meeting in person and me joining through Skype. Now with the pandemic raging, we are all playing remotely via Roll20.

Two groups, decades ago. One in highschool around the turn of the century, and one several years later in college. Neither group worked out well. The highschool group collapsed due to lack of perparation, and in the college group session zero lasted several sessions and by the time we had finally made our characters my class schedule changed and I couldn't meet with the group anymore.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I tried to answer but I couldn’t. Too much player crossover between campaigns so I’m not sure if they are the same group with a player or two added and a couple dropped out or if it’s a new group?

Edit: 40 years playing - maybe 25 players who I played with for at least 5 years each

MarkB

Legend
I'm a long-time member of a gaming club where we switch games four times a year, so countless combinations of players over the past few decades.

Quite a few groups for home games - at least 8-10 over the same period - but drawn largely from the members of the same club.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Six groups since 2008 or 2009 (not quite sure when I started), not counting one-shots of various kinds.

1. (approx. 2008-2012) Playing 2nd edition, later a few sessions of 3.5. Met my now-wife there, and she's in all my (recurring) groups. Fizzled out eventually.

2. (approx. 2011-2016) A new group with my now-wife ,playing 3.5. Fell apart due to irregular attendence of the main host player.

3 and 4. (2012) Two short-lived groups playing 3.5 and World of Darkness, respectively. Both fell apart due to loss of interest and mutual annoyances.

5. (2016-2020) Relatively consistent group, playing 5e. Fell apart due to suddenly them not wanting to play with my wife anymore (yes there is resentment here).

6. (2020-current) Only just started this group, with me as DM running Out of the Abyss adjusted to 3.5. Currently on hiatus due to Covid.

If you only count my long time gaming friends. Lets say four.
If you count the people I introduced into gaming... Dozens yes, with an "s".
And you did not removed tournaments... so that means a lot. More than I can remember.

Remove ads