D&D 5E How many hands does a fighter-mage type need?

Problem may be solved. You just need some bling headwear.

image.jpg

Mearls himself reckons that while the intent is to touch it, he would allow this solution.

BoldItalic

First Post
Thri-kreen have it easy :D

Seriously, though, an Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond feature is there for a reason. You can drop your weapon to cast a spell, then call it to hand again with a bonus action.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Thri-kreen have it easy :D

Seriously, though, an Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond feature is there for a reason. You can drop your weapon to cast a spell, then call it to hand again with a bonus action.

Ah, but then you lose your bonus action, which hopefully you could have used for something better.

I think even worse though is losing the flexibility of having options for a reaction. If your setup is "flexible", then your reaction can be cast a spell or do an attack of opportunity. If your setup is not, you lose that flexibility.

Ganymede81

First Post
I'm with Mearls on this one.

I'd be inclined to allow any caster to use a simple melee weapon they are proficient in as their focus (whether it is a quarterstaff, a pact dagger, a holy mace, or a ritual sickle), as long as they pay some extra gold to properly modify the weapon for casting. On that same token, I'd allow any gishy caster (rangers, paladins, blade warlocks, valor bards, war/tempest clerics, etc.) to do the same with martial weapons.

Kithas

First Post
Eldritch knights cannot use arcane focuses.
They lack the class feature that allows it. They choose spells from the wizard list but they do not cast as if they were a wizard. Rangers, arcane tricksters, eldritch knights and even barbarians do not have the ability to use a spellcasting focus. In each class that can under the spellcasting feature it tells you that you may. If it's not there you need a component pouch!

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I've always ignored the requirement for a free hand for clerics and eldritch fighters in my campaigns. As others have posted, you could always drop your weapon and pick it up for free. I suppose it's theoretically possible the eldritch knight might have to use a bonus action to retrieve their sword but in most cases the weapon will be at your feet when you're done casting.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've been thinking about this more. There is the RAW, but perhaps more importantly it this question - how *should* it be? I believe there are two ways of looking at it, and it depends what you consider most important.

If you believe that
1: To make the most out of of the "ghish" combat style, a character must make sacrifices and limit him/herself to the most convenient fighting style AND
2: the great weapons fighting style is limited and denying it this "extra utility" would make it even weaker

Then you should follow RAW and not allow a character with a weapon and shield (or 2 weapons) to switch back and forth.

however, if you believe that:
1: The ghish style is somewhat limited and the players who use it should be free to choose the fighting style they want without limiting their effectiveness

Then you should allow the gish to use his weapon as an arcane focus.

Kithas

First Post
I dont really see it as an issue because quite a few of the spells you wont to cast dont require materials anyway. The ones that do it's worth tho cost to cast, it makes that choice more interesting and it even makes weaponless gistes an interjsting option. That said even if you are allowing your eldritch knights to use focuses and you allow their weapon to count as one they still cannot cast several important spells because they are v.s. and no m. They still kinda need warcaster. That's not a bad thing. Im really not sure why most gish builds that even I make I dont want to take warcaster because it feels like I have to, but if I'm making say a xbow user I have no problem with xbow expert. :/

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I should note that upon further thought, the 2 weapon style comment I made was wrong. All the Gish has to do is carry 2-3 spare "off hand weapons" and discard them if needed to get a free hand. At the end of the fight, pick them up again. If for some reason the party has to flee the fight, well he lost 2-3 short sword or hand axe or whatever, no big deal.

Still doesn't work with the weapon and shield style though :/

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases