How Many Minis Do You Have?

How Many Minis Do You Have?

I'm hardly an industry insider, but I do think Reaper Bones paved the way for other companies to use new kinds of plastics in their production. Their Bones line still isn't the highest quality of miniature, but they've improved over the last few years, but they were so abundant and cheap that a lot of people didn't care. I see the Bones DNA in Wizkids' miniatures.
The Bones Black, which they now use for their smaller minis, is a big improvement over the original Bones material. It's much harder and allows for sharper edges.

The original Bones material (which they've also improved) was too pliable and had stability issues for bigger minis and flat details for smaller minis.

So, you folks with 1,000+ minis, where do you put them all? How are they organized?
For my pre-painted D&D minis, I have them stored in a couple of plastic tubs, sorted into labelled zip-lock bags. So I might have an Orc bag, a Kobold bag, a Goblin bag. Then I'll have an Animal bag, with smaller bags within that for say, one for Bears, another for Wolves, another for Snakes. The Undead bag will have a Zombie bag, a Skeleton bag, a Ghoul bag, etc.

There is always the dip, dip, dip, dot, dot, dab, wash method.....
Dip in primer. Let dry
dip in body color. Let dry
dip head in flesh color. let dry
dot the eyes, let dry
dot the mouth, let dry.
Dab on the hair/helmet
if needed, dip the metal of the weapon in metal paint.
dip in an inkwash, and stick above sink or blotter, hanging upside down, until dry.n (This puts the shadows on the doward facing side of cracks.

Great for low res hordes of similar minis...
And, for one friend of mine, about the amount of care taken to paint his PCminis.
I gave up - I use mini-meeples. ;)
The GW contrast paints (and similar paints in other brands) are great for quick, tabletop standard paint jobs for minis you want to get on the table quickly.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I actually enjoy painting in and of itself so I won't actually go for the dip, dip, etc method. Well... not just at the moment anyway. Ask me again in a year.

Remove ads