D&D General How much damage should a Bastard Sword deal if it is used 2-handed, used 1-handed it deals 2d4?

How much damage should it do?

• 2d4 (same, no change)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 2d6

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 1d10

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 1d4 + 1d6

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 3d4

• Other (please explain)

Horwath

Legend
Depends on your edition. 5e eschews modifiers and advances die type so going to 2d6 may be appropriate.
2e generally keeps dice the same but adds +2 damage. 3e gives a stupidly good multiplier to strength bonus damage (particularly when strength is really high).
1e did it really weird. I won’t even go into it here.
maybe it would have been better if 5E went with:
one handed melee weapons: str mod to damage.
2handed: 2×str mod to damage.

thene there would not be any need for versatility trait in weapons and non-modifier for off-hand attack without fighting style.

Longsword(historically) is a two handed weapon, that you could use one handed in some moves(i.e. lunge), but you would want to use it two handed almost all the time.
From my reading, the word "longsword" is pretty much a D&D invention. But a sword of that size would typically be used in a comparable fashion to a modern tennis racket. Not that they where used much in actual battle, serving more as status symbols.

Last edited:

If anything there should be a one handed sword that deal 2d4 that isn't versatile to be the model for normal swords.
2nd edition boardsword.
1633340840056.png

Horwath

Legend
From my reading, the word "longsword" is pretty much a D&D invention. But a sword of that size would typically be used in a comparable fashion to a modern tennis racket. Not that they where used much in actual battle, serving more as status symbols.

edit:

this is my HEMA training sword,
it would be the most similar to medieval "long sword", definitely a two-hander.

I would say the article is flawed, by neglecting to mention the influence of D&D in popularising the term - I suspect intellectual snobbery.

It's worth pointing out that it includes Zweihänder - the archetypical D&D greatsword - in the category. Of course even these weapons would have been used one or two handed depending on the stroke.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I would say the article is flawed, by neglecting to mention the influence of D&D in popularising the term - I suspect intellectual snobbery.

It's worth pointing out that it includes Zweihänder - the archetypical D&D greatsword - in the category. Of course even these weapons would have been used one or two handed depending on the stroke.
Yes, you can use a greatsword one-handed, but only as some kind of overweight spear, or you need to be "the Mountain".
One handed slashes with that swords are so slow, as being telegraphed from 19th century(read, disadvantage on attack).

Maybe there is room here for return of 3rd ED "monkey grip" feat is some shape...

Remove ads