How Much Does an Adamantine Arrow Cost?

mvincent

Explorer
Nonlethal Force said:
Yeah, but you can't be prepared for everything.
Compared to the cost of magical arrows, adamantine arrows are pretty darn cheap. I'm a miserly player, but there's not much excuse for not having a few on hand. The ability to get through DR is one of the few things archers have going them.

A holy bow with 6 adamantine, 12 silver, and (all the rest) cold iron arrows should get through almost any DR you'll be facing (cheaply).

Now: adamantine arrows of construct slaying... those are expensive (but often worth it since constructs have such low Fort. saves)

Nifft said:
Wow that is an amazing +2 ability. For the price of +2, you get Ghost Touch and the ability to penetrate all DR.

Seems a wee tad broken.

-- N

I don't see that as just being powerful, I see it as undermining the entire purpose of the DR change from 3.0 to 3.5. They specifically changed DR in 3.5 so that you wouldn't be able to just have one magic weapon that got through all types; you have to carry weapons of different material to get around it. They also purposely lowered DRs to account for this (the idea being that you would be less effective against certain monsters, but never completely neutered the way you were in 3.0).

This isn't power creep. It's a power sprint.

nameless

First Post
Deset Gled said:
I don't see that as just being powerful, I see it as undermining the entire purpose of the DR change from 3.0 to 3.5. They specifically changed DR in 3.5 so that you wouldn't be able to just have one magic weapon that got through all types; you have to carry weapons of different material to get around it. They also purposely lowered DRs to account for this (the idea being that you would be less effective against certain monsters, but never completely neutered the way you were in 3.0).

This isn't power creep. It's a power sprint.
I don't think so at all. That +2 gives you no attack or damage bonus while still significantly raising the cost of the item. Against guys whose DR you would beat anyway, that is effectively -2 to hit/-2 to damage, or more, depending on the enhancements you chose. And depending on the DR, you might have beaten it anyway with the enhancement or material you otherwise chose.

I know I would never buy a weapon with "force" on it, it's got great comfort value but not a lot of actual kick.

Remove ads