Fighter with
1 greatsword
1 longsword
1 shortsword
1 dagger
1 shortbow
1 quiver
and 1 large shield

His default mode was sword-and-board, the greatsword was his original weapon and now only used in special circumstances (has antimagical properties). Shortsword and dagger were backup. The shortbow and quiver were most often stored on his horse.

Staffan

Legend
Conaill said:
Seems *feasible*, but I would expect a good fraction of NPCs to burst out laughing when they see the PC in question! ;)
harnplayercov.gif

tensen

First Post
Goddess FallenAngel said:
I would disallow the hammers and Quivers on a common-sense basis. The reason for the hammers have been mentioned - as for the quivers... yeah, you could carry them there, but every time you lean over or bend to pick something up, I see arrows falling out. Also, I used to do archery with a hunting bow while in college - and while I am far, far, far from an expert, it just seems like it would be difficult to draw an arrow from a waist-quiver.

The difference between hip quivers and back quivers is really solely on the archer. I know folk that use hip quivers and can draw and shoot faster than I wished. And then others that constantly bobble any arrow drawn from a back quiver.
To me, that can draw quite smoothly from a back quiver, but if it comes to trying to use a hip quiver, I'll catch the bowstring on the arrow now matter what.

And if I tried to melee fight with a back quiver on, I know I'd be sending arrows everywhere. I can get around without dropping arrows normally, but it comes from knowing to keep a stiff upper body posture... which is bad for my swordfight.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Anyone remember the old mini put out by Ral Patha or Greindier called "The complete Adventurer" ? He had a backpack with EVERYTHING.

Xombie Master

First Post
My new character is a weaponsmith, he specializes in longswords and has made 5 that he carries, but they are in a bundle not Rambo'ed out all over his body.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'd definitely not disallow someone carrying their weight allowances if they really want to push things. By the same token, being allowed to carry things doesn't automatically mean they are being carried in such a way as to be immediately useful. Boots are not made to hold hammers (these aren't for carpentry, they're mini-anvils on a stick) and they'd have to be secured in such a way as to make them impossible to quickly draw, not to mention they'd be banging up against things whenever your leg was swung. Quivers on the waist, as mentioned, aren't in a location that makes it possible to draw missiles from them in a normal fashion. Blindly reaching over your back, in the midst of heated batte, into a "quiver of swords" is likely to give you a random chance of which one of the swords is drawn. Don't allow the encumbrance rules to tie up your common sense and hold it hostage. However, don't say "No" to ideas, just impose the proper penalties and add time to awkward actions.

BlackSilver

First Post
Once in a while I have my Players stand up and describe what their character looks like, placing weapons and gear by saying- "long sword is here," left hand indicating to the left side "throwing axe right here," right hip, and so forth.

"Wearing a breast plate," no indications needed, "and a amulet of a snarling wolf," again no gesture or placement needed (but it helps).

All this gives the other Players and myself a better view of the character, and when the Player says that they are carrying what the group thinks might be to many things in one area then it is pointed out. My group is pretty good about understanding and hearing people out and arguing plausability (thank you guys :) )

Some times the golf bag of weapons is frowned on and PCs have to hang that extra sword off their saddle or wrap it in their bed roll in their Haver Sack.

Remove ads