How Much Gaming Took Place At Gen Con?

Over at RPGGeek, an enterprising person has put together a ranked list of available gaming seats for various systems at Gen Con this year. Pathfinder tops the list with 11,540 seats, with Dungeons & Dragons someway in second place at 8,807. There's an enormous gap then, before the rest of the pack. Other interesting nuggets include the fact that there appear to be four times as many seats for WEG's old Star Wars RPG than the current FFG version.

Over at RPGGeek, an enterprising person has put together a ranked list of available gaming seats for various systems at Gen Con this year. Pathfinder tops the list with 11,540 seats, with Dungeons & Dragons someway in second place at 8,807. There's an enormous gap then, before the rest of the pack. Other interesting nuggets include the fact that there appear to be four times as many seats for WEG's old Star Wars RPG than the current FFG version.

You can see the list here. These are seats available for registration.

A similar list below it lists the seats available by group organizing the events. Paizo is first there, with Baldman Games (who handled the D&D stuff) coming in second.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Unfortunately, the section designated for D&D play was extremely loud, and the tables close to each other. I would have preferred if smaller rooms with better sound proofing, was possible. Its evident that Gencon is PF-con, but I predict that this will slowly change, and hopefully Wizards will invest in better play spaces, maybe even create their own D&D-con.

DM Howard

Explorer
Yeah, the Paizo gaming area was massive compared to the Baldman Games area. Noticeably so. If you count the Pathfinder Card Game tables it was pretty a big difference. I didn't do any D&D games this year, but I cringed when I went by their tables because that hall is just so loud.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm rather surprised how unexperimental that list is. Is it owed to logistic issues, like the are game publishers themselves largely responsible for paying to sponsor the games?

Some games in the list are sponsored, but a whole lot of the RPG ones are just games that someone wanted to bring and run. Sometimes you can find some real diverse offerings, sometimes not. I've run Villains and Vigilantes events at Gen Con in previous years and they can be a lot of fun. You have to be able to handle a highly mixed crowd, though, so the experience isn't for everyone.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
The D&D play area was a mess of noise. I dont know why Wizards could not use the rooms upstairs that PF used, much more manageable noise levels, and less cluttered.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
While there were open slots for some games in the Sagamore, there also were a lot more tables available this year and even more players than ever. I think it's safe to say that PFS is still going strong and expanding.

Yep. More tickets available this year, and more tickets sold for every day of the convention.

Some of the morning slot high-tier tables didn't go off (this is more an administrative thing than a trend), but overall we were thrilled with our ticket sales at Gen Con this year. It was a fantastic year in the Sagamore Ballroom, and we look forward to a huge 2016!

thzero

First Post
Yup... it was pretty darn full, especially for Thurs and Friday night specials!

My only real issue is that I still haven't seen all my games posted (grrr); several other folks I game with in variety of groups have same issues.

The Catalyst room was packed every time I walked by, and was packed when I took in a game of Shadow run. On Saturday when I ducked past the D&D room on my way to Pathfinder the D&D room was sorta dead.

Yep. More tickets available this year, and more tickets sold for every day of the convention.

Some of the morning slot high-tier tables didn't go off (this is more an administrative thing than a trend), but overall we were thrilled with our ticket sales at Gen Con this year. It was a fantastic year in the Sagamore Ballroom, and we look forward to a huge 2016!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads