D&D 5E How much social interaction in RotFM?

renbot

Adventurer
As soon as TCoE is released my group plans to start ID:RotFM. my initial character concept was to be the face of the party, probably a rogue swashbuckler with or without a dip into something. The plan was to expertise in Deception and Persuasion and generally be a lying charming inspiring kind of character.

then I got nervous that there wouldn't be much need for that in RotFM. for example had I played this character in tomb of annihilation I would have been very disappointed.

So just briefly are there enough opportunities for intrigue and deception and disguise and all that fun social interaction stuff or should I change my focus?

RogueRonin

Explorer
There is a good deal of RP opportunity at the beginning, and a bit more scattered throughout the rest of the adventure. It is set up kind of similarly to ToA, though, in that there is a lot of wilderness travel and encounters with things that won't make use of social dynamics. But the starting area is Ten Towns, so there are literally ten towns in which you can interact with NPCs, and get into things involving the social skills. And without spoiling anything, there is opportunity for deception/persuasion in the dungeons too.

I think you'll be fine.

Yeah, this.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
There are opportunities to at least attempt diplomacy or negotiation with many of the enemies in the adventure - including some that you really wouldn’t expect would be open to it.

I think this is completely dependent on the DM running RotFM. In the AP as written, there are many more opportunities in the beginning than in the middle or end, although there is a smattering of opportunities in those two as well, just not nearly as many.

But, a DM could tailor a large part of the adventure to a strong social character. That said, remember the setting. It is the far north. Many people are suffering. It is horror laden. So if you come across as a the happy bard that sings and dances, it wouldn't be out of the DM's boundaries to have the NPC's look at you with indifference, or disdain for those that think you are mocking their suffering.

My advice would be to talk to the DM.

I think this is completely dependent on the DM running RotFM. In the AP as written, there are many more opportunities in the beginning than in the middle or end, although there is a smattering of opportunities in those two as well, just not nearly as many.
I don't agree with this assessment really. Whilst there are more dungeons in that later part, the vast majority are full of intelligent creatures with their own agendas who could be dealt with socially.

It's the players who are looking for a series of combat challenges with unmistakably "evil" monsters who they can kill without guilt who might find RotFM lacking.

I don't agree with this assessment really. Whilst there are more dungeons in that later part, the vast majority are full of intelligent creatures with their own agendas who could be dealt with socially.

It's the players who are looking for a series of combat challenges with unmistakably "evil" monsters who they can kill without guilt who might find RotFM lacking.
I get what you are saying, and you are right, especially about the players. My point that I wrote directly below your quotation explained that it might be more important how he chooses to be the face of the party. Just because there are intelligent people around doesn't mean they want to be social, and the DM, if reading the tone of RotFM chooses to have much of them be non-social, that could be a valid interpretation. That's why I said he should talk to the DM to see how the DM is interpreting the adventure.

Remove ads