D&D 5E How much spare gold does your character you have?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
At 11th level as a party of five in an Ancient Greece theme game we have about 15K between us not including another 1K worth of diamonds for material components. Or we did until we came across the king of a city-state whom had a treasury with magic items he was willing to part with for coin, and now we have like 400 gold.

That's not really a low gold game, we just spent it on thing in-game, from bribes to outfitting a stronghold to feeding a neighborhood and generating goodwill. You know, all the stuff that people who say "there's nothing to spend money on" completely ignore because what they are really saying is "3.x and 4e had magic items as part of the character advancement mathematics so had a magic item economy and I have been trained that gold only has value if it directly adds to my character sheet by those editions", but often don't know that's what they are saying.

In Avernus there was precious little material treasure, so we had next to nothing once we went there. That went up to 13th.

In CoS, until we just hit the big treasure room in Castle Ravenloft one session befgore the end we were having problems buying mundane equipment at 8th. But that's also rather campaign dependent.

In a completed campaign, 1-7, we went between riches and poor many times, as we got rewards and then spent it. I think 5000gp was the most, but at like 4-5th level that's a good deal.

Shiroiken

Legend
My 17th level cleric has about10,000 gp of "treasure," but almost all of it is material components for spells. Actual liquid cash is less than 500 gp, but I also have almost no expenses either.

I don't remember exactly where my 2nd level warlock is at, since I left the session before loot was divided. At the start of the last session, I was the rich one in the party with 57 gp. This was because my background gave me 50 gp to start with (Mountain's Witness from Midgard). I know we just got a big payday for completing our first mission, so this will change.

pnewman

Adventurer
L 12 Paladin 6,882 GP + 500 GP in diamond dust. L8 Cleric 104.5 GP + 1,000 GP in diamond dust (+ 20 Healing Potions). L8 Fighter 260 GP + 500 GP Diamond dust. L7 Wizard 270GP. L6 Fighter 271 GP. L6 Monk 265 GP. All from Adventurer's League, in the Before Times.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

My 6th level Gnome Paladin of Garl Glittergold [Hootock "Hoots" Gloryhammer] had 142gp's to his name and just got his first magic item...a Potion of Greater Healing. Now I'm unstoppable! (which is probably a good thing, considering Hoots is currently in the City of Dis on the first plane of Hell trying to track down a Night Hag).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
At the moment everyone is 3rd level and each PC has 300-400 gp. They're saving up for a pinnace (4500gp), plus extra rowers and supplies, to set sail to the Isle of Dread.

With folks often saying they don't have enough to spend gold on, I was wondering just how much spare gold your character has (and at what level)? Who's carrying around a big wad of cash, and how big is it?
We came up with a banking system, so we didn't have to carry everything on us at all times. However, this did cause issues if we needed money/had too much to carry when we were far from a city.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The only 5E game I'm playing in is Rime of the Frostmaiden, and we're broke AF. Still only 4th level, but I don't think my recently-dead wizard ever had money to scribe any new spells. My replacement Warlock with the Ritual Caster feat (wizard) was able to raid a wrecked wizard's lab for scribing materials but certainly hasn't found enough money to spend on anything other than food or fuel yet.

Remove ads