• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much to tip the pizza delivery guy?

was

Adventurer
After being burned several times, I no longer order from anyplace that tacks on a delivery charge. Anyways, when I do order pizza ($15-$20) I usually give the driver $2 plus the coins.

Kurashu

First Post
I used to order from Papa Johns here in town. Through a deal with my school you could get a large pizza for free when you ordered a large pizza if you had a Boilercard. Mmmm free larger meatlovers and Dr Pepper make D&D much better. Too bad they closed. Grah. I miss them already and they closed on the first. ;-; First Hardees. Now Papa Johns. KFC is scheduled next from what I keep hearing. I won't miss that one though.

Anyways, whenever I get pizza I tip at least 10% of the total price. Usually more if I have the extra money. That is unless the guy shows up late.

sydbar

Explorer
I usually tip $2-3 dollars rounded uo, but most people don't tip according the delivery guys that would stop at 7-11, when i worked there.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I worked delivery for a bit in college, and indeed, the amount of people that don't tip is staggering. On top of that, you've got the people that will only give you the change, which I think was worse.

That said, tip off the base cost. The "delivery charge" is usually used to offset gas and repair, when you don't have to use your own car. It may be a scam, of course, but keep in mind that if it is the delivery guy is getting just as shafted as you are by it - he isn't seeing the money either.

kenobi65

First Post
I usually tip a couple of dollars, plus a little more if the weather stinks.

I actually live across the street from an Italian restaurant, though there's other places whose pizza I like better (which is why I'm getting delivery). If I order a pizza from across the street, I go pick it up...though I've always threatened that, on some really bitterly cold night, I'm going to order a pizza from there, and ask for delivery. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Threads like this always make me happy that tipping in New Zealand is pretty much unheard of.

My local Chinese place has a practice I thoroughly approve of. Let's say the bill is $36.60; when they show up at the door, they have a little bag containing $3.40 on hand.

So much more convenient than the pizza guy who looks at the two twenties you're holding, and goes "Uh," and starts hunting through his belt bag for the right coins...

-Hyp.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Threads like this always make me happy that tipping in New Zealand is pretty much unheard of.

My local Chinese place has a practice I thoroughly approve of. Let's say the bill is $36.60; when they show up at the door, they have a little bag containing $3.40 on hand.
Do I still take the little bag if I paid the exact charge? :]

LightPhoenix

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

I'm curious, in NZ do they have a minimum wage law? That's a big reason for tipping here in the States - if you get tips, they can actually pay you less than minimum wage, and you generally get paid less in general anyway. Tipping is a way for people doing those jobs to bring in a little extra money.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LightPhoenix said:
I'm curious, in NZ do they have a minimum wage law? That's a big reason for tipping here in the States - if you get tips, they can actually pay you less than minimum wage, and you generally get paid less in general anyway. Tipping is a way for people doing those jobs to bring in a little extra money.

There is a minimum wage law - the first in the world, as I understand it - and I don't think there's a provision for paying less with the exceptions of under-16-year-olds or certain apprenticeships. The minimum wage for 16-17 year olds is also lower than the 18+ wage.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
There is a minimum wage law - the first in the world, as I understand it - and I don't think there's a provision for paying less with the exceptions of under-16-year-olds or certain apprenticeships. The minimum wage for 16-17 year olds is also lower than the 18+ wage.

The U.S. has a minimum wage law, as well, though, at the moment, it's a very low wage, and it hasn't increased in something like 15 years. (Many states have instituted higher minimums.)

In addition, as LightPhoenix notes, in some jobs in which tipping is expected (e.g., waiters), the minimum wage apparently doesn't apply. I'm not sure if "delivery driver" is among those that are exempt from the minimum.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads